Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:03 AM   #1

I have only had my SD800IS for about two weeks, and in that whole time I NEVER touched the lense (I know that is a big no-no.) Lately I have noticed the extremely annoying white circle/spots in some of the pictures I have taken, some more than others.

About an hour ago, after trying many different methods of cleaning the lense, I noticed that the preview on the lcd screen had begun to get foggy (as if someone breathed on the lense) it's gotten really bad and it WON'T go away.

I have no clue what has happened and if I have done anything wrong. I have an extended warranty from Circuit City in case I need it, but I really hope this issue won't require me to return the camera because I love it soo much...

Please help!!

Thanks, Zach
igobyzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Zach:

The round circles are probably due to flash reflections from dust or smoke particles in the air that are close to the lens.

Search the forums here for dust orbs, and you'll find a number of threads with examples of the problem.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/s...mp;q=dust+orbs

If they're not flash photos, then it could be dust on the sensor. This would more likely show up taking photos of a bright sky using smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers)

As for the foggy LCD, it sounds like it could be some water condensation. If you've been bringing the camera in out of of the cold, that could be the cause.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 8:52 AM   #3

I bought the sd800 also, and have white spots on 50% of the pictures I take indoors with flash.. I got my lenses cleaned by a tech and still the same problem... It looks like it documents the dust in the air.. so if you have a very dusting place.. youll have more of these white spots.. I take pictures of dancers... so theres more dust sweept of the floor... this is my theory Im not too sure yet.. but whats really frustrating is that I paid 500$ for it and I had better results with a disposable cam!!! Im still in talks with the shop owner cause Im really not happy with this product!!!
boom731209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4

I thought It would a good idea to document my conversation with canon customer service so you guys have an idea whats happening here... this last suggestion is a bit off the wall... So I should be turning the flash off and raising the iso setting.. so my images would be more noisy and less clear.. basically because I take pics indoors of dancers I have to cancel the flash... I think this is not the way to go... I never had this issue with any of my previous cameras, and my friend is a pro photographer and never heard of such a thing... I still very frustrated with all this... for those who have a sd800 test indoors.. raise some dust if you have to... the saga continues!!!! the emails start at the bottom....

canon: Since the powershot SD800IS digital camera has the DIGIC III processor using
high ISO setting will provide less noise than our older processor. Set the
camera to "M" mode and try turning the flash off and increasing your ISO speed
to 800 or higher

Hi,

The advice given below is not helpful because most of my pictures are taken
indoors in low light conditions therefore I need the flash... I take
pictures of salsa dancers in club or shows... Theres at least 50% of my
pictures that have white specks on them.. I do not think that its normal
for
a camera of that price and reputation. I really not satisfied with this
product... It's the first time that I use a camera that documents dust in
the air... the shop owner does not want to take it back and give my money..
so now IM stuck with an expensive camera that I cannot use... I would you
guys to do something cause Im really frustrated!!!!

>
>
>
Canon: Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your PowerShot SD800 IS
digital
>camera. This phenomenon is likely caused by the flash reflecting off of
>dust particles in the air.
>
>If the flash is used in environments where dust particles are in the air,
>it can reflect off of particles close to the camera. This flash
reflection
>may appear as unusual white circles in your captured images. To prevent
>this from occurring you may consider capturing images without the flash.
>As long as there is sufficient lighting in the scene your images will be
>exposed correctly. To obtain additional information on disabling the
flash
Old May 10, 2007, 11:51 PM   #5

You see spots 50% of the time?! Once in a while my SD500 will pick up dust in the air when I use a flash. I didn't know what it was when I first saw the pictures. I thought I somehow got water on the lens. It hasn't happened enough for me to figure out the conditions that cause it. I can only guess, flash against a dark background with dust particles floating about close to the lens.
Attached Images

outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 9:27 AM   #6

I take pictures of dancers, usually indoors.. so I guest they raise a little more dust than usual. I bought my camera to document events and shows that we do.... but I never had this issue with any other camera. I tested the same environnement with a Nikkon cam and it doesnt pick up the dust... Canon seems to deal with this issue by suggesting to turn off the flash as if it was normal to do that!!!! Im glad to see that Im not the only one, cause the shop owner told me he never saw this before.. and no one brought back the product... hes gonna give a me a new one.. but Im pretty sure Ill have the same problem!!! So Im taking this up with Canon directly and will not rest until my problem is fixed... in this case they probably gonna have to admit that its not normal and offer a refund! Thanks for writting.
Old May 11, 2007, 9:32 AM   #7

Heres one of many pictures of an event that turned out with spots
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2007, 8:05 AM   #8

I have been experiencing this phenomenon with my Canon Powershot since I bought it 2 years ago and no-one seems to have an answer apart from "it's dust".
Look around the web and you can see many disgruntled people that have been told the same thing. In a minority of circumstances that is probably true.
However, I believe that it is due in the first instance to two engineering issues a) the closeness of the flash unit to the lens and b) minute aberrations in the lens coating or optical sensor. In neither case are suppliers and manufacturers going to hold up their hands. It requires some detailed analysis by technical experts (which I am not) to get to the bottom of this.
Why do I think this?
1) it only occurs with flash pictures.
2) it does not occur in the dustiest of my environments ie my own home where, on a sunny day, one can see the mass of dust.
3) it only seems to occur when the back of the room is at least 8 metres away.
4) there is often a point of flash relection seen although I believe this can occur out of the picture.
5) it only seems to occur at wide angle
6) the halos all appear completely circular and are different sizes.
My belief is that, under these circumstances, a point in the scene reflects the flash into the lens and it 'bounces' off the photosensor, finding those points that are not quite as flat as the rest.
In the attached photo (resized to send but otherwise untampered with) there is a relection from the buckle of a dancer's shoe that produces a halo. There are about 12 other halos in the picture that probably originate from this. In most circumstances an originating relection is not clearly seen (although in the scene of Boom 731209 there is perhaps a chink in the curtains causing a point relection).
How can we get some consumer / technical group to have a serious look at this?
Some serious detailed analysis could get to the bottom of this and stop consumers being fobbed off by the dust story - or perhaps prove the manufacturers are correct.
Any suggestions welcome.
Attached Images

quarterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 8:56 PM   #9

Thanks for comments. I decided to do test of my own cause my friend photographer for 20 years told me that he never saw a camera that had that many spots.... We ran around the room and then took 2 pictures of the same place... fujifil f30 didnt show any spots... the owner of the shop told me that all digital cams do that!!! So I guess not!!! Did you write to canon? Cause I sent a register mail compalint.. well see what is gonna happen... this is really nuts cause I oened cheaper cameras in the past and I never encountered such a problem...
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2007, 3:23 AM   #10

That is the best evidence I have seen to date of this problem NOT being specifically due to dust. Most people will not have access to another camera and, even if they have, it also has a good chance of the same problem. Nikon Coolpix have a lot of mentions on the web, for example.
This is why it would be good to get a bona fide test facility involved.
You have succeeded in getting the effect from a small space so my stated conditions are not strictly correct.
As it happens I have a friend with a Fuji F30 also and they said "Spots? What spots?"
Could you repeat the test and try to get exactly the same shot? Also are the cameras on the same settings? - widest angle, resolution etc.
The Canon one has more TV and other reflective items in it.
If you look at the Fuji one carefully there is a feint reflective spot from the TV but that is expected and acceptable in comparison tot he Canon 'snowstorm'
I personally haven't written to Canon since I know that others have without effect.
They have the easy get out 'dust' clause.
I will, however, write to the Consumers' Association and see if I can get a comment from them.
quarterp is offline   Reply With Quote