Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:32 PM   #1

I just received the following from Canon support in response to an email question. I found this especially interesting since I like to take videos. There are some 8GB SDHC cards that are less than $100 and even the Sandisk 4GB ultra 2 SDHC is less than $100, including a reader. A 4GB card should allow about 35 minutes in highest quality.

"Your camera will accept both MMC (MultiMedia Cards) and SD (Secure Digital) cards. This includes newer SDHC memory cards that are over 2GB. Utilizing the newer SDHC or High Capacity cards, your camera should be able to accept any size cards available on the market today as well as into the future, up to 2TB. Even though memory cards do not come in capacities as high as a terabyte, the camera is capable of accessing that amount of memory."
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
"Your camera will accept both MMC (MultiMedia Cards) and SD (Secure Digital) cards. This includes newer SDHC memory cards that are over 2GB. Utilizing the newer SDHC or High Capacity cards, your camera should be able to accept any size cards available on the market today as well as into the future, up to 2TB. Even though memory cards do not come in capacities as high as a terabyte, the camera is capable of accessing that amount of memory."
The part of the 2TB acceptance sounds like a joke, i mean as far as i know the new SDHC technology will allow a maximum of 32Gb in a single card in the future, for more i guess a new technolgoy is required. And by the time a 2TB card is marketed i think 98% of current Canon S3is will be dead or exposed in a museum maybe...
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:56 AM   #3

flash110 wrote:
Quote:
Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
The part of the 2TB acceptance sounds like a joke, i mean as far as i know the new SDHC technology will allow a maximum of 32Gb in a single card in the future, for more i guess a new technolgoy is required. And by the time a 2TB card is marketed i think 98% of current Canon S3is will be dead or exposed in a museum maybe...
Flash,...I don't think Canon meant this as a joke, rather that, for once, they are ahead of the curve a bit. That the S2 will not only accept any size card on the market now but anything likely to be offered in the future. Personally, I'm impressed with their planning.

By the way, I find that Canon customer service is probably the best of any camera company. Seems you can always get an answer to your question by e mail or from an actual human being. Personally, if it's a close call, I go with Canon products for that reason.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:55 AM   #4

Confusion about max. flash card size.

Originally the S3 IS was only stated to support SD cards, which normally only go up to 2 GB, but now Canon also states that it supports SDHC cards (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=1 44&modelid=13077), and SDHD cards go from 4 GB to 32 GB!

TWINMOS also now writes that it can use 4 GB SDHC cards (class 6) (http://www.twinmos.com/flash/downloa...sdhc_oct06.pdf).

A lot of users also report, that it can use 4 GB SD cards (SD cards are normally only up to 2 GB, but there are many "non standard" 4 GB SD cards out there), and 8 GB SDHC cards have just been announced from several card makers.

If that is all true, what is then the actual max. size of flash cards for the Canon PowerShot S3 IS?

And what file system does it use for big cards – FAT16 or FAT32?

Could the SDHC and/or the FAT32 mean, that movie clips will be able to exceed the 1 GB limit of the S3 IS?
Søren Thade Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote