Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:31 PM   #1

Default a70 aperature problem?

When I use my a70 in AV mode my pictures come out the same no matter what my aperature is set at. I'm not getting the blurred backgrounds I'm used to with my SLR when I use a large setting such as 2.8. In fact pretty much all of my photos seem to be locked in a small ( 8.0 ) setting.

It seems I can only get a blurred effect in macro mode.

Any ideas? I could upload some test photos if anyone could suggest a free hosting site.

thank you
bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:58 AM   #2

ofoto.com is a decent and free hosting site and many people like pbase.com as well.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:34 PM   #3

At ofoto, is there a way to share pics without sending e-mails?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:40 PM   #4

Does this work?

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSig...46_19449483405
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:39 PM   #5

F/8.0 is the smallest opening on the A70 so if you are at wideangle everything will be in focus, (large depth of feild).

Looking in the manual for a way to change the arpeture is one solution. F/2.8 will yeild the smallest depth of field. An easier way may be the potrait mode on the dial. This I will automatically shoot with the large arpeture of f/2.8. The third option is to get closer to your subject. You have already noticed this with macro. Outide of macro, you need to have either a larger focal length (zoom) or smaller arpeture, or both for this option to work. The last option is to use the telephoto. Zooming in to max zoom (105mm) will yeild the smallest depth of feild, especially when combined with any of the first three.

Do be carefull when it comes to using all four in combination. Eventually you will be taking a photo of a person with their eyes in focus, but their nose out of focus. (Never really tried this, but things like this are definatley possible.)

Remember that f/stop number increases with a decreasing arpeture diameter. This is because f=focal length, and stop=arpeture in diameter. Therefore, dividing your focal length by a larger arpeture will give a smaller f/stop (and vise versa). Also rembember that every increase in an f/stop means you are cutting the light in half.

Oh yeah, you can't get too carried away with depth of feild on an A70 because at full telephoto the f/stop automatically increases to 4.5(?).

I once had a 135mm lens for my SRT 101. What I didn't know was that the arpeture had died yeilding a constant 2.8 arpeture, Yikes! I got a whole lot of blurry photos because the camera only had manual focus. Accoding to F Calc, my photographic calculator, a 135mm lens at f/2.8 at a distinance of 5 feet you get a depth of feild of .65 inches. Now that's a small depth of field!
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote