Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1

I have a G6 with LensMate and Raynox 6600 wide angle (as well as telephoto which I rarely use.). I really like the camera, but I find that when I go on vacation, it tends to be big and I usually don't want to carry the wide angle lens with me as it is huge.

I like outdoor shots primarily and lot of landscapes and wide angle. I like the quality of the shots, but 90% of the time I just use the auto mode, so not an advanced photographer.

The new SD800IS is tiny, has same mexapixels, faster, better video, image stabilization, wide screen modeand also a wide-angle lens. I think I could really like this camera. I was thinking about picking one up for my cruise so that I can just keep it in my pocket at all times instead of consious effort to bring G6 on occations when I know I'll be taking pictures.

About the only downsides (other than extra cost incurred in new camera and SD cards) are no vari-angle LCD and being smaller it might not be as stable (but IS hopefully more than compensates for this. LCD is probably very nose-smudgable with optical viewfinder. The final downsode is the posibility of the lens not being as good and not taking as high quality pictures.

Should I buy SD800IS for my vacation? Should I leave the G6 setup at home and take only 800IS or take both? The G7 is bigger and doens't offer vari-angle LCD and wide angle isn't as good, so more of a replacement for G6 but still need lens to make wide angle defeating the purpose of a small compact camera for my needs.

Thanks,

Dale

drhollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:59 PM   #2

Well, I bought SD800 IS. I'll compare the two for a couple of weeks and decide whether to even take the G6 with me on vacation. I KNOW I'll love the small size.
drhollen is offline   Reply With Quote