Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:43 PM   #1

I was looking at getting some lenses for my S3 IS and after looking on ebay i saw some differnent brands that i've never heard of, but that were much cheaper than the Raynox or Canon versions. "Digital Concepts" and "Tokina" are a few that come to mind. They are much cheaper, but i was just wondering what loss in picture quality comes with the cheaper price.Thanks for anyhelp!!
surfTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:43 PM   #2

They are quite poor.

Generally the picture will be softer if not actually out of focus all together (especially if you get one of the cheap x3 tcons!) , fringing and other distortions will be enhanced etc.

Really if you are only going to take a couple of shots with the tcon a year and only for personal use and not printing, well, perhaps paying out for a quality tcon is pointless, you might be happy with the cheap cost vs poor performance.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:32 PM   #3

Hi,

I just bought the S3. Since I'm a beginner I read most of the threads on here and already learned a few things. I do have some questions and wouldgreatly appreciate it if someone could help me go into the right direction.

I'd like to buy a teleconverter. Based on what I read it's either going to be the Sony DH1758 or the Canon DC58B.
  • Is there a reason why I should chose one over the other?
    [/*]
  • If I'd get the Sony, can I attach it to the Canon LAH-DC20 adapter or would I have to get a different one?
    [/*]
  • To be able to get more accesories (lenses, filters, etc.) down the road would the lensmate 58mm adapter be the way to go and if so, do I still have to get the LAH-DC20 for either the Canon or Sony teleconverter?[/*]
I know some of the questions have already been addressed in other threads, but like I said, I'm a newbie and need some help.

Thank you all
mark97701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:12 AM   #4

I have an S2, but the S3 is almost the same - so search out past S2 postings. I saw a comparison somewhere (probably mentioned in other S2 threads) - the Sony tele-adaptor seemed to have the edge on image quality.

The Canon 58mm adaptor and the lensmate 58mm one both do the same thing. The reason to have more than one adaptor is for quick changes.

I use a 52mm lensmate with a UV filter + clip-on lens-cap to protect the lens mechanism from dust (I use a 52mm because it is more compact). I have a 58mm lensmate attached to the Sony tele so I can quickly bring it into action. I mostly buy 52mm filters for the 52mm lensmate - I only use the 58mm for the tele. Not sure if this is optimal, but I find the combo OK. You'd have to consider your own situation.

BTW the tele+adaptor is quite bulky.

mark97701 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I just bought the S3. Since I'm a beginner I read most of the threads on here and already learned a few things. I do have some questions and wouldgreatly appreciate it if someone could help me go into the right direction.

I'd like to buy a teleconverter. Based on what I read it's either going to be the Sony DH1758 or the Canon DC58B.
    [/*]
  • If I'd get the Sony, can I attach it to the Canon LAH-DC20 adapter or would I have to get a different one?
    [/*]
  • To be able to get more accesories (lenses, filters, etc.) down the road would the lensmate 58mm adapter be the way to go and if so, do I still have to get the LAH-DC20 for either the Canon or Sony teleconverter?[/*]
I know some of the questions have already been addressed in other threads, but like I said, I'm a newbie and need some help.

Thank you all
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:12 AM   #5

mchnz wrote:
Quote:
I have an S2, but the S3 is almost the same - so search out past S2 postings. I saw a comparison somewhere (probably mentioned in other S2 threads) - the Sony seemed to have the edge on image quality.

The Canon 58mm adaptor and the lensmate 58mm one both do the same thing. The reason to have more than one adaptor is for quick changes.

I use a 52mm lensmate with a UV filter + clip-on lens-cap to protect the lens mechanism from dust (I use a 52mm because it is more compact). I have a 58mm lensmate attached to the Sony tele so I can quickly bring it into action. I mostly buy 52mm filters for the 52mm lensmate - I only use the 58mm for the tele. Not sure if this is optimal, but I find the combo OK. You'd have to consider your own situation.

BTW the tele+adaptor is quite bulky.

mark97701 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

[/*]
    [/*]
  • To be able to get more accesories (lenses, filters, etc.) down the road would the lensmate 58mm adapter be the way to go and if so, do I still have to get the LAH-D20 for either the Canon or Sony teleconverter?[/*]

Thank you all
I too have a S3. I think the reason why Sony H5 has the edge on IQ is that it has ED, http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...s/glossary.htm. I own a Sony VCL-HD1758 (no ED) and a Nikon TC-E15ED 1.5x (does have ED). Net effect is the Nikon does reduce CA thus improving IQ.

bgin
pugs95 is offline   Reply With Quote