Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:16 AM   #1

Default Canon A70 Battery Life

Hi all:

I just got my Canon A70 and am generally very impressed, but was wondering whether my experience with battery life is normal. I have gone through a couple of battery cycles and get about 70 pictures per set of 1600 ma NIMH batteries, using flash about 1/3 of the time and the LCD about 2/3 of the time. This seemed a little skimpy to me, at least based on the manual's claim of 250-350 shots! Also the low battery warning came on only about 2-3 shots before the camera shut down. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated, as I only have a couple of days to return the camera if it is defective. Thanks very much!
captpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:28 AM   #2
Fly

Hi there

My A70 takes about 120 pictures with flash 50% of the time, and LCD all the time with 1800 ma NiMH batteries.

I turn the camera off each time I won't be using it very soon again.

And yes - the low battery warning tell you: 2-3 pictures left!

I don't think your camera is defective.

Cheers
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:34 PM   #3

If you are not ... you should try using the recharagable batteries.....they give you much better life that the regular alkaline batteries.
2spyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:09 PM   #4

Thank you Fly --

Still seems a little low to me --120 vs. 70, if you assume your higher flash and LCD usage more or less makes up for the extra 200 ma in the batteries you use. (yes the batteries I am using are rechargeables). Any one else have any information they can share about their A70 battery life?
captpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:28 AM   #5

I use 2000 ma rechargeables, use LCD 100 % of time and flash 0.05 % of time. I HARDLY EVER switch the cam off, it usually ends up the cam shuts down on the auto power down.

I would have to totally guess and give a VERY ball park figure for no of shots and I'm guessing somewhere around the the 90-120 mark.

Sorry to be so vague - maybe sometime I'll measure it (then again maybe I'll prob forget to do so )

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:56 AM   #6

I use decent batts each time. I seem to go through two cycles of my 128 meg card twice before I have to change. Thats with everything set to best quality.

I use the lcd 100%.
Flash maybe 10%

I try and turn it off after I know I got the shots and that I wont be using it for a bit. If I know that I will need to keep it on for that quick pick I will just turn off the lcd.
shaunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 2:12 AM   #7

i'm using 2000mah nimh with my a70, with lcd on all the time and flash maybe 25% of the time. i'm getting around the amoung of pictures canon claims. haven't measured, but most definately over 200+ pictures per charge.
shiwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 7:07 PM   #8

Hasn't A60/70 got an option of that auto-off if it's not used for several minutes??
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iason
Hasn't A60/70 got an option of that auto-off if it's not used for several minutes??
Yes

I use 1800 mA NiMH in an A60 (lower res, so it's powering 2/3 the CCD's and has less data to write each time) and my last cycle has ~125 shots plus a few short videos without recharging. I use the LCD all the time and the flash 5%. I usually shoot groups of pictures between powering down.

Do you do a lot of previewing or editing images while still on the camera?

It might be the batteries or charger rather than the camera. I understand some of the cheaper sets don't fill up well. The short warning time is also normal with Nickel metal-hydride batteries because they hold their standard voltage until they are nearly depleted (low voltage triggers the warning).
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:

Yes it does.....You can turn that feature off if you like to...its the second option in the set up menu
2spyc is offline   Reply With Quote