Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:18 PM   #1

I know this is a what camera should i purchase but i wanna get another canon so i thought it might be ok to post it here.

I had a SD500 but had it in my coat pocket and the screen got all messed up. So therefore im looking to get a new camera. It usually stays with me 4 out of 7 days a week in my pants pocket.

I am looking for somethign that will take great all around pictures and movies with sound. I would like to be able to take movies for as long as i can depending on the card size.

I usually just take pics and save them on my camera and dont do anything with them other then looking at them on my computer when i wanna see them.

My SD500 i was able to take thousands of pictures with it and only charged it a handful of times. I thought it had a crazy battery life to it. I would like something with just as good a battery life.

I would like a larger screen this time.

Thank you and im sorry for posting in the canon section a what camera to purchase. :roll::roll::roll:

Joseph
Lacrosseboss18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2

Too bad about your SD500, I still use my SD500 on hiking trips, fits in my shirt or front pants pocket. If I broke mine I would replace it with either the SD700 or SD800.

"The SD700 has a 4X zoom, while the SD800 has a wide angle lens.

Besides the excellentreviews on this site is an interesting article about them at: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2006-camera-guide.htm
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:54 PM   #3

Kind of in the same situation as you and debating between the SD700 and SD800. Looks like you got some good feedback so far...have you narrowed down your choices yet?

Lacrosseboss18 wrote:
Quote:
I know this is a what camera should i purchase but i wanna get another canon so i thought it might be ok to post it here.

I had a SD500 but had it in my coat pocket and the screen got all messed up. So therefore im looking to get a new camera. It usually stays with me 4 out of 7 days a week in my pants pocket.

I am looking for somethign that will take great all around pictures and movies with sound. I would like to be able to take movies for as long as i can depending on the card size.

I usually just take pics and save them on my camera and dont do anything with them other then looking at them on my computer when i wanna see them.

My SD500 i was able to take thousands of pictures with it and only charged it a handful of times. I thought it had a crazy battery life to it. I would like something with just as good a battery life.

I would like a larger screen this time.

Thank you and im sorry for posting in the canon section a what camera to purchase. :roll::roll::roll:

Joseph
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:02 PM   #4

having the same problem, I'm trying to decide between a sd600, sd630 and an a710IS :?
jimb823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:13 PM   #5

what ever camera you end up with if you are still going to carry it in your pocket I would suggest you get a good screen protector like the "da Protector" from da productsor I think Hoodman makes some pretty good ones too. I have a da protector on all of my cameras. it is a piece of hard scratch resistant plastic that not only protects aganst scrathes but also impact.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:47 AM   #6

Have you considered the A630 or A640? I have an A620 that (just about) fits in my trouser pocket, though I don't carry it as much as you do.

The 'dealbreaker' for me is the articulating lcd which can be folded in to protect the screen. Since I have used the A620 I can't imagine buying a digicam without an atriculating lcd. It is so much easier to take candid shots, macro shots, self timer shots etc. etc. I don't know why more camera manufactures don't use them!

I would like to upgrade to an S3 IS, as I miss the long zoom I have on my minolta Z5, but am holding out hoping for an S3 upgrade with a wider angle lens and a larger lcd:-)
stephenbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:53 PM   #7

Only problem is that neither of those have IS.

stephenbw wrote:
Quote:
Have you considered the A630 or A640? I have an A620 that (just about) fits in my trouser pocket, though I don't carry it as much as you do.

The 'dealbreaker' for me is the articulating lcd which can be folded in to protect the screen. Since I have used the A620 I can't imagine buying a digicam without an atriculating lcd. It is so much easier to take candid shots, macro shots, self timer shots etc. etc. I don't know why more camera manufactures don't use them!

I would like to upgrade to an S3 IS, as I miss the long zoom I have on my minolta Z5, but am holding out hoping for an S3 upgrade with a wider angle lens and a larger lcd:-)
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:19 PM   #8

I find that the articulating LCD largely overcomes the need for IS with only 4X zoom. Because you don't have to hold the camera at arms length or eye level, the A620 can be held much steadier closer to the body. The 'chunkier' design and hand grip are also an advantage over the smaller/lighter compacts imo.
stephenbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:46 PM   #9

The G7 is not quite pocket friendly but it is jacket friendly. Mine stays in a little case on my hip most of the time when Im not using my FZ50. Its a little expensive but I think its worth the price.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote