Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:51 AM   #1

Default S400 blurry like S230?

I have read a bunch of people say that the S230 gives a lot of blurry pictures, mostly due to camera skake. Does the S400 have the same problem? or did canon increase the shutter speed to fix this.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:49 AM   #2

The S240 or Ixus V3 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/1500 sec. If this produces blurry pictures then I'm afraid that the users should get a medical checkup for some debilitating desease that makes them shake uncontrollably. If they are producing blurred photos then they must be setting the flash to "off" and trying to take photos in low light levels. I have yet to produce a blurred photograph with mine, indoors or outdoors. Bear in mind that digital cameras operate in the same way as SLRs as far as shutter speeds and apertures are concerned and if you try to take a low light photo with one of these without using a tripod you'll get blur as well unless you use a higher speed film e.g 400ASA. The S230 can adjust to the equivalent of a 200 or 400 film which will, like the ordinary camera, produce a bit of "grain" or "noise" in digital terms. There's nothing magic about these cameras just because they are "digital".
kenwalker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:14 AM   #3

Ken, how do you set the shutter speed to 1/1500?

My camera does always weird things like it wants to smallen the aperture (less light) even when the shutter is 1/15 or 1/5.

I would have thought that shutters like 1/15 always have aperture full open.

Which medical check you recommend, as I too get blurry images..
Keimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:56 AM   #4

Nothing can be done to set the shutter speed as the camera is basically a full auto and it sets the best combination of speed/aperture for whatever subject you are shooting. You speak of shutter speeds of 1/5 and 1/15. If you are trying to take photos without using flash at such low speeds then you will need a tripod. Try setting both the camera and flash to AUTO and if you still get blurred photos then there must be something wrong with your camera, assuming that you are holding it steady during shooting. I have never read a bad professional review of this camera either.
kenwalker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote