Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:02 PM   #1

Is it just me, or does the A610 NOT have a battery level indicator?? I certainly can't find it and it is kind of annoying as all of a sudden the low batt icon appears and that's pretty much it.

Great camara apart from this

Thanks

Tracy
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:38 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd have to dig through the screens to see.

But, even if it did have one, I could virtually guarantee that it's going to be very unreliable.

They are all unreliable (with the exception of the Sony Infolithium equipped cameras that have a microprocessor in the battery that communicates additional information to the camera about it's state for a more accurate representation). Of course, that means higher battery cost. :-)

The problem is that most batteries tend to produce a good voltage level until right before they are ready to die in a digital camera. So, the battery indicators in cameras equipped with them are not very good. IOW, once the bars on them start going down from full, be prepared to replace the battery before very many additional shots are taken (since cameras are relatively high drain devices in comparison to many other electronic devices, thanks to focus motors, LCDs and more).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:01 PM   #3

Thanks for that JimC I won't worry about it then... and just keep spares handy

Tracy
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:16 PM   #4
Administrator

Tracy:

I can't find one. I looked through our review, as well as the Basic and Advanced User Guide for it. If one is there, I'm missing it.

But, it's been my experience that a battery life remaining indicator on a camera is going to be very unreliable (with some exceptions like the Sony Infolithium system), just because the batteries tend to maintain a steady voltage level until they are almost depleted (so the camera really can't sense how drained they are until the voltage begins to drop near the end of their discharge cycle).

My guess (only a guess) is that Canon decided not to waste any engineering effort on an indicator that's not going to be very reliable anyway (deciding to give you a warning instead, after the camera sees a voltage drop below a preset level).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote