Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:35 PM   #1

I recently picked up a Canon S3 to replace my HP R818 that got broken. I was really happy with my camera and thought about getting another but I thought I'd take the opputunity to upgrade.

So I bought this Canon, which I like so far, but it doesn't seem that the colors are quite as vibrant as my HP. I'd like to post two photos. The first is of Boulder Lake in Colorado that I took in November of last year. The second is Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota that I took today. The one from Colorado had less clouds, but it still seems the Dakota one should have been a bit more vibrant.

Feel free to let loose!
Attached Images

markheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:37 PM   #2

Sorry, this is Boulder Lake in Colorado, the first is North Dakota
Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:56 PM   #3

Thought this might be useful as well...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:20 PM   #4

For some reason I can't post the property tabs... But if necessary I can type it all out here...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:57 PM   #5

Well, the first image the sky looks foggy and grey, thus the grey'ish color of the water. Snow is white so not a whole lot of vibrant colors altogether. The second image looks pretty vibrant to me. The sky has a deep blue tone contrasting against the dark mountains and the rocks on the right hand side look pretty natural as well. Now, with that said, you can increase in-camera Saturation for stronger colors but I'd not recommend such a settingunlessyou like unnatural looking images.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:26 AM   #6

I just bought an S3 and I'm very pleased with the camera. I don't have it set at the high color setting, and my photos of the Arkansas spring grass are so vibrant that I have to desaturate them a little to keep them looking "natural."

The Colorado shot was taken at high altitude and the skies are always bluer there as compared to other areas.
Stormhaven is offline   Reply With Quote