Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:37 PM   #1

hi,

I have had this canon A85 camera for more than 2 years now. About a month back it suddenly stopped focusing on the objects. I have tried using the camera in various situations but so far have had no success in finding out the solution. The camera itself seems to be working great except the focusing part.

When you power up the camera it seems fine, after the post when it focusses on the surroundings it is blurred, if u press the button half way thru it tries to focus but is unable to do so. If you let it go and keep pressing half way and release it, after about 8 attempts it is able to focus correctly on the object. Also I opened up the camera and once the front and the back flush plates are removed, it works like a charm. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Do kindly advise.

Thanks,

I did knock the doors of Canon but this is all it has yielded:

hi,

I have had this camera for more than 2 years now. About a week back it suddenly stopped focusing on the objects. Now I have tried using the camera in various situations but so far have had no success in finding out the solution. The camera itself seems to be working great except the focusing part.

Do kindly advise.

Thanks,
Jitender

Dear Mr. Jitender Kaka

Thank you for your E-mail regarding your Canon PowerShot A85 Digital Camera.

To address this issue, I would recommend resetting the camera to it's default settings. To accomplish this press and hold the [Menu] button down for approximately five seconds and select [Reset] when prompted.

If the issue continues after resetting the camera, I recommend that your PowerShot camera be forwarded to the Authorized Service Facility below for inspection. Please include your name, address, daytime telephone number and a brief description of the symptom(s). Only the camera should be forwarded (do not send additional accessories i.e battery, charger/adapters, cables, memory cards, etc.). If repairs are not covered under the warranty terms, an estimate will be provided pending your authorization.

Please find below, the name, address and telephone number of the nearest Authorized Service Facility for your reference.

RICK ELECTRONICS
3105 Unity Dr Suite 20
Mississauga, ON, L5L 4L2
Tel.: 905/608-8769

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,

Kirk M.

Technical Support Representative

Customer Information Centre

Canon Canada Inc.

http://www.canon.ca/digitalphotography

Hi,

I tried resetting to factory defaults and it did not help, Hence I approached Rick Electronics as suggested by you. They told me it was a cost of $177 to get it fixed and that they will have to replace the lens unit.

I know I am just another customer and It does not make a difference to The Canon Inc. But let me put forward some of my thoughts even if just the Level 1 Support person gets to read this.

My father was a professional photographer and he always preferred Canon and was always talking highly about it. I believed him and I bought my first digital camera about 2 years back. I loved it, it was great. In-fact I loved it so much that I bought 2 more of them and gifted it to my dad and my father in law (both camera's are in use in INDIA), I gifted one to my friend, all canon's. Last year I bought a camcorder, again a canon. Hence in the last 2 years I have bought 4 camera's and 1 camcorder from canon. Quite an investment I believe. Now my camera is dead (if I may say so) and I don't like the fact that it lasted me only 2 years. I also regret paying so much more for buying 4 camera's and a camcorder if they last 2 years only. My next camera may not be a canon (sorry for that), it is simply not worth the money.

If it really matters to canon and if you have read so far (thank you).

I can provide you with the serial numbers, for all of them if you like, to prove my point.

Thanks,
Jitender

Dear Mr. Jitender Kaka

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your PowerShot A85.

I am sorry to hear that the problem turned out to be hardware related Mr. Kaka. I can understand your disappointment in the case to repair your camera. While the cost of developing and producing technologically advanced products has decreased over the years, the same degree of reduction cannot be said for the cost to maintain and repair items. The actual repair work is meticulously performed manually as opposed to during manufacturing which for the most part is assembled by automated machines.

Unfortunately as your product is outside of warranty there would be a cost for repair. The only other suggestion I could give is to have the camera inspected for a second opinion. I've included the Canon Canada Mississauga location below.

CANON CANADA INC.
1400 Courtneypark Dr E
Mississauga, ON, L5T 1H1
Tel.: 905/795-2005

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,

James D.

Canon Canada Inc.

Hi James,

Thanks for the response to my email. I might call up at Courtneypark.

Just a question if you could find an answer for me. Over this weekend (since it is so costly to get the camera repaired) I decided to open up the camera, I love fixing things. Anyways, my report is that when I open up the front and the back faceplates to the camera, The camera works fine (holding the batteries in place needed some skill), focus and everything PERFECT PICTURES, but as soon as I close it up it gets back to the old out of focus issue (kind of feels like its white point is not correctly set), but I am sure it is not the case.

Is it possible for you to find out what part of the camera causes this issue if it is not in its place? I hope you understand, I find the camera itself to be working fine, just that some part is out of position hence when packed is malfunctioning. If your support/repair team has come across this ever they might know the trick. I know knowledge has its price, do let me know if it is going to cost me something.

Looking forward to your response,

Thanks a lot,
Jitender

Dear Mr. Jitender Kaka

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your PowerShot A85.

I am sorry Mr. Kaka, Canon does not provide support for self repair. Our support team does not have repair/internal component knowledge to give. This is all handled by our service department. But again, they would not provide assistance with self repairs.

Sincerely,

James D.

Canon Canada Inc.

I dont know what to say, Any Ideas?? Anyone??
Thanks,
Jitender

jitenderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:28 PM   #2

I have not had your problem and so do not know how to advise you technically.

However I was going to mention that you should be aware that depending on where you bought the camera (I assume Canada), as a consumer you probably have rights beyond the "1 year warranty" that is provided by most manufacturers, which is supposed to be in addition to your statutory rights, not instead of. For example intheUKyou have rights up to six years from date of purchase. That is not to say that they are obliged to repair it totally free of charge, it all depends on how much you have used it, life expectancy of the item etc.. I am just saying that it may be worth you getting advice from say a Citizen's Advice Bureau before going back to Canon. Of course they may then still refuse to help you, in which case the only thing you can do is threaten them with some form of legal action - something not many people will bother to do and they know it.
kjknapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:18 AM   #3

Hi, I had a similar problem with a different brand recently I was referred by a friend to a tech support site and found the solution. I am sure they can help you too A quick search found your model.

Here is the page for Canon A85 Support

I Hope it helps

Marcy

mluiry is offline   Reply With Quote