Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:07 AM   #1

This is a question for other Canon a710is owners.

I have just bought one of these, mainly due to the great feature set, reasonably low noise, IS and 6X zoom, all in a pretty compact camera that takes AA batteries.

I have noticed that when taking photos with the LCD off, the camera appears to take about twice the time to focus (i.e. a half shutter press). When looking at the lens aperture, you can actually see (and hear if you listen carefully) that the aperture makes two focus attempts. Having tried another a710is in a shop I found it does the same thing.

Although this is not really a big issue (but it could be if focusing on a moving object), I am just a little confused why it should take longer to focus when hnot using the LCD. It appears that having the LCD off means that the lens aperture has to initialise or open up before it can than make an attempt to focus. I have not seen on the various review sites any mention of this (including Steve's site). Or am I missing something, some setting I can alter to remove this problem?

This is probably not an issue for cameras with an EVF as the route through the lens is already open whether using the EVF or main LCD.

Kevin

UK
kjknapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:59 PM   #2

Mine does not do what you are reporting. Very strange indeed.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:42 PM   #3

Thanks Goofas, the fact that yours does not do this is strange indeed - or rather it is strange that mine DOES do it and also the one in the shop did!

I will contact Canon and see if this is a real issue. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if anyone else with an a710is would comment.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Yes, my A710 does the same thing.
I have also noticed that the camera makes a faint and constant noise the entire time the LCD is on.
The noise stops when the LCD is off, but returns when you half press the shutter button and focus.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Please let us know what Canon has to say.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:11 PM   #6

Will do Hagar. I have already put query into Canon technical support. I just hope that they do not come back with "take the camera to your nearest service centre" as I have only just bought it! If this is an issue that I cannot live with I will most likely get a refund but it seems weird.

Goofas, are you sure you have not got the problem? One thing I have noticed is that if I do the test indoors where there is not alot of light, sometimes it appears not to take quite as long to focus (which is weird you would expect it to be the other way round) but as soon as you go outside or point the camera towards a window where there is plenty of light it happens again. I have not tried two A710is cameras in local Jessops shops aswell as my own.

I am surprised that Steve did not notice this when he reviewed the a710is.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:58 PM   #7

The focus speed is the same inside and outside ...with LCD on/off...I just tried it again to see. Did you buy your camera from a retail seller?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:30 PM   #8

I bought my camera from an internet retailer, however I tried two a710is cameras in local high street retailers (Jessops) and they had the same issue as mine, as did another forum user as you can see on this post. So that is four cameras. Very strange that you do not have the same issue! Anyway thanks for taking the time to test yours.

Hagar, mine also makes a low noise when the LCD is switched on. However I am more bothered about the focus issue.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:38 PM   #9

I just tested my 710.... no difference when focusing, LCD on or off.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:12 AM   #10

kjknapman wrote:
Quote:
Although this is not really a big issue (but it could be if focusing on a moving object), I am just a little confused why it should take longer to focus when hnot using the LCD. It appears that having the LCD off means that the lens aperture has to initialise or open up before it can than make an attempt to focus. I have not seen on the various review sites any mention of this (including Steve's site). Or am I missing something, some setting I can alter to remove this problem?

This is probably not an issue for cameras with an EVF as the route through the lens is already open whether using the EVF or main LCD.
This behavior is only natural. When you turn of the display and use only the very poor optical viewfinder, then also the CCD is turned off to save power. Now, when you half press the shutter, the camera has first to initialise the CCD before focusing. That takes a while. For using an EVF the CCD is absolutely necessary as it is necessary when you use the display. Hence there is no speed difference between EVF and display. On the other hand you don't save power, when you use the EVF instead of the display.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote