Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:52 AM   #1

Hi,

I've just got the Canon S3 IS (I've had the Canon A95 for the past 3 years) and taken nice shots with the long exposure mode and such, but am having trouble figuring out how to take portraits where the background is blurry.

On the Av mode, the aperture can be set from 2.7 to 8 when I'm not zoomed in, and I've tried both, focusing on an object, and both photos come out the same looking. Hmm. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much!!!
LostBoyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:30 PM   #2

As Keoeelt said, use the largest aperture (smallest number) and using the zoom helps create shallower DOF.

Also, you should get as close to the subject as the zoom will allow and make sure the background is as far away from the subject as possible.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:59 AM   #3

Ah I see, thanks guys! I got confused cause I saw photos online with amazingly blurry backgrounds, and in the manual of the camera it says how you can create beautiful portraits by blurring the background. But yeah what you just said, they 'forget' to mention. Oh well I'm still really happy with the camera, and yeah the macro mode is great!
Old May 3, 2007, 3:26 AM   #4

All the advice givehere are good. I primarily use the long end of the zoom. These were shot with the S3is when I still had it.

danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 6:45 AM   #5

Thanks, those look fantastic! Exactly what I was after.

Yeah the advice seems great here, and it's nice they put the aperture numbers in their posts too, rather than just saying "largest aperture", because I was a bit confused if it was a higher or smaller number for the "largest". Good stuff!

Thanks again

I have one other question about the camera, and the macro mode, do you have any thoughts on it? http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=15