Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:34 PM   #1

Default A70 users, do you get red warning numbers?

I was reading over the manual again, and I noticed that in some sections, specifially the Tv section it tells you that if your camera is under/over exposed that the aperture/shutter settings will show up in red. Well I've taken some pics that I know were underexposed and those numbers didn't show up in red? Do yours?
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 4:26 PM   #2
kex

Hi,
i got the same red numbers in the left upper corner of my A60 sometimes.
afaik, this number tells you to adjust the lightening manual.
you can do that in the function menu.
But I couldn't find any issues in taking photos while showing these numbers
Most of the pictures are sharp and clear!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:11 PM   #3

I don't get number there either. HUNH! The manual says specifically (page 92) The correct exposure has been set if the shutter speed and aperture value show in white. If the apperture vaule shows in red, the imagr is udner exposed or overexposed. Adjust the shutter speed using the left and right buttons until the paerture value display turns to white. '
It also says that on page 90, the correct exposure has been set if the hsutter speed and aperture value show in white. From the pic they have it looks like the numbers would be on the bottom center of the LCD.

For me they ALWAYS show in white, and I know some of my pics I have been underexposed.

What numbers do you get?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:22 PM   #4

Some of the sunsets I do have the numbers show up in read. There is some formula that the manual explains about doing apeture and shutter speed.

If it is in red it supposed to be over/under exposed. If its white, its in optimal range.

I use my camera now mainly on 'M' mode now
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:45 PM   #5

I'm going to play around w/ it more to see if I get red numbers, I don't ever remember getting them before. Ah well, maybe I'm doing something right 8) :mrgreen:
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:15 PM   #6
ir

Default The red numbers

Yes, there are red numbers in some cases. In the creative zone (Tv, Av, and M(anual)), you can choose settings that might make it impossible for the camera to get the exposure it thinks it needs. For example, if the lighting is low, you are in Tv mode and select a shutter speed of 1/1000 of a second, the camera will try to find an aperature value to properly expose the shot. Chances are that in low light even with the aperature open to its maximum ( f2.8 ), the shot will still be severely underexposed, and the aperature value will show in red. If the camera is able to find a proper exposure, the numbers will show in white.

In M(anual) mode you can set both the shutter speed and aperature value, which reallly allows you to stray far from a proper exposure (but maybe you want to). In the upper left corner the camera will display how far you are from the proper exposure in 1/3 increments from -2 to +2. If you're off by more than 2, the numbers appear, you guessed it, in red.

See pages 91-97 in the manual. If you get under or over-exposed shots and the numbers weren't in red, maybe there were bright and dark areas. The camera will, especially in Evaluative Metering mode, try to find the best balance. It may think it has succeeded, but the results may not bear that out. (If you really want to see some red numbers, go out in the dark and turn the flash off.)

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 5:51 PM   #7

oh, thanks for the info. That explains everythiing......