Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 11, 2007, 7:45 PM   #11

I think you're right - if Canon increases the spec too much they could undermine the Rebel XT sales! Can't see them doing that while the XT is doiong so well!!

Note that cramming in a bigger sensor would be very difficult because of the impact this has on the size of the optics and the body to accomodate them.Unfortunately the length and diameter of the lens has to go up significantly to match the sensor size. You can see this in the much bigger Panasonic FZ30 which uses a 1/1.8" but has the same focal length and aperture range(35mm equivalent) as the S5. If you ever get the chance to see the Panny next to the S3 the impact on size very clear!

However, I could be wrong - does anyone know of cameras using a 1/1.8" or bigger sensor yet still managing to maintain the size, zoom range and maximum aperture of the S3/S5?

PS - Raw's not a big deal for me either, what I had hoped for most was a something with a bit more wide angle so I don't end up backed into corners every time I shoot imteriors or groups of people!!
pdannatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 5:23 PM   #12

A630 has 8M 1/1.8" size sensor. S3/S5 are nice, but sensor is too small. It's a marketing decision I think. Canon does not want to undecut higher modes.
Daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 7:48 AM   #13

i hear ya pd. bigger sensor = bigger camera body. i was just hoping for at least a 1/1.8 instead of the existing 1/2.5, and maybe cmos. oh well, can't have them all. at the very least, they got the hot shoe, 1600 iso and digic3 in there... not an earth-shaking evolution but a positive evolution nonetheless. if anybody is planning to get a superzoom ps, skip on the predecessors and save up for the s5... i know i am ^_^
ditch_azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:09 AM   #14

S5-IS Owners Manual

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/S5ISadvanced.pdf
scottnj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:43 PM   #15

S5-IS Reviewed on CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32441341.html

I've also been told by my local dealer here in Malaysia that he can get me a S5-IS "by tomorrow". Price RM1580 with 2GB card. Thats about US$460 or UKP230.
pdannatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:30 AM   #16

just bought it at midValley,Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia..

rm1599 (USD464) with 2gb memory, mini tripod, lens cleaner kit, screen protecter..

considering to buy Sigma EF-500 Super flash unit rm999(USD289)

for comparison - canon Speedlite 550EX rm1700(USD493)

Now I waiting for underwater casing for canon s5, I hope ikelite (http://www.ikelite.com) will launch underwater casing for canon s5 very soon..

cddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:53 AM   #17

cddin wrote:
Quote:
for comparison - canon Speedlite 550EX rm1700(USD493)
I'd take the Canon Speedlite 430 into compare instead of the 550
donato is offline   Reply With Quote