Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 10, 2007, 4:20 PM   #1

I've had the Canon G3 for a few years now and it's served me well. However, I've been having trouble taking shots lately since the camera has been getting progressively more unresponsive to the shutter release button. It's at apoint now where I have to press it really, really hard for it to take a picture. And it screws up my shot because my hand shakes when I have to put that much pressure on the button. Is there a way to resolve this? I would greatly appreciate any help on this since I plunked down $500 for this camera when I got it.
Staraang21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2007, 7:12 PM   #2

Hi Staraang21,

I have had a G3 for a while (don't use it much anymore since going DSLR). At first I thought you were talking about shutter lag which is quite bad on the g3 in low light. But this sounds like more. Has the shutter release gotten dirty? It may just need a good cleaning.

I would contact canon support, they are very helpful and will be able to tell you if it is cost effective to have it cleaned/fixed.

Hope this helps a bit

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 7:39 PM   #3

Mugmar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Staraang21,

I have had a G3 for a while (don't use it much anymore since going DSLR). At first I thought you were talking about shutter lag which is quite bad on the g3 in low light. But this sounds like more. Has the shutter release gotten dirty? It may just need a good cleaning.

I would contact canon support, they are very helpful and will be able to tell you if it is cost effective to have it cleaned/fixed.

Hope this helps a bit

Mugmar
I'm not sure how exactly I would clean the shutter release. It's the button that is really hard to press. You have to press it at a certain angle and really hard to make it snap a picture. Sounds weird, I know. But thanks for the tip on calling Canon. I just called them and you were right about them being helpful. Basically they said it sounded like a mechanical problem and itwould cost around $150 to repair it. They also gave me an "upgrade" option where I could get a refurbed SD550 for $185 if I traded the G3 in. Both of those don't sound like very good options to me. I may have to just end up selling the thing if I can't get a more reasonable alternative.
Staraang21 is offline   Reply With Quote