Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 14, 2007, 5:01 PM   #1

Hello everyone. I was looking for an introduction section but couldn't immediately locate it, so here I am.

A little background first: The shutterbug first bit back in '72 while cruising the Atlantic on a destroyer while in the Navy. I took a couple of cool sunset shots with a Kodak Instamatic. I immediately purchased a Yashika Electro 35 from the ship's store to photograph a Kenyan safari. The yashika bit the dust a few years later when buddy dropped it. I went on (in 1980 something) to pick up a couple of Minolta X700s and a bag full of lenses. I also have a Mamiya medium format that I shot some weddings and portrait work with.

A few years ago I purchased a Canon G2 and was quite satisfied with the results up until it went for a swim on a canoe trip 3 weekends ago. I struggled and struggled with my next buying decision. I'm not a wealthy man and was torn between the Rebel XTi and an upper end P&S. I finally decided, as a stop gap measure, to purchase the A640 until the prices of full frame sensor DSLRs drop. Will that happen in my lifetime? I'm 52.

Anyway, I've had the A640 for two days now and needless to say (I think) the owner's manual is far from user friendly. My first question: I can't seem to activate (in any way shape of form)the flash in Program of Manual mode. Is it user error or am I missing something?

I hope you all will indulge me for a bit hereas I'm sure I will come up with more questions.

Thanks

Ponz
Ponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2007, 10:57 AM   #2

Well, I tried again. I simply can't get thet flash to trigger inanything 'other' than AUTO. Help!

Thanks - Ponz
Old May 15, 2007, 4:35 PM   #3

You simply have to press the "up" button to toggle the flash in all modes (see p.3 of the basic user manual).
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 4:43 PM   #4

Ok, let's give this a try.

On your lcd in manual mode set the display so all of your info is showing. Shutter speed, fstop, iso, etc. On the top of the display you should see the little lightning bolt with a slash though it. This of course indicates the flash is off. Now push the four way toggle button at the top and the flash indicator should change and the flash is active. You can control the flash from the menu or the function set that surrounds the display..

Just to claify the toggle button. It has the func set button in the middle of it and it has four points, top, right, left and bottom. They each active something different. In manual mode by pressing this button at the bottom you can go to macro mode or manual focus. By pressing the top of the button you turn the flash on or off.

Doug
dougste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 9:46 AM   #5

OK - Thanks Guys! I have that part figured out - thanks.

When I'm in Manual mode I should be able to set my shutter speed "along with" aperture, correct? I can't toggle to the f-stop setting. I can change my shutter speed but not my aperture.

Oh! Never mind. I see! You first have to dial to Av, set the aperture, then dial back to Manual. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for forcing me to put my thinking cap on!

Ponz
Old May 16, 2007, 11:27 AM   #6

No, you can stay in the manual modus. Use the +/- button to toggle between aperture and shutter speed.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:19 PM   #7

+/- button??
Old May 16, 2007, 3:09 PM   #8

Ponz wrote:
Quote:
+/- button??
In A- and S- mode you press this button for exposure compensation. It is located north west of the func button. In replay mode it serves also as the erase button.
Old May 17, 2007, 8:18 AM   #9

Thank you Kass....I see now. I I had the flash activated in M mode, which overrode this function - I guess.

Ponz