Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:33 PM   #1

Default Power capacity of A-70 (NiMH) vs S-400 (LI)

As a soon to be first time digicam buyer, I'm trying to conceptualize the expected performance difference between an A-70 powered by four 2200 mAh NiMH AA cells and an S-400 powered by what I assume is a single 840 mAh NB-1LH Li Ion if I am reading the specs correctly.

Is it valid to compare 4x2200=8800mAh for the A-70 to 1x840mAh for the more costly and presumably more capable S-400? The mAh potential difference between the two cameras leads me to wonder if I am misinterpreting the significance of mAh or misreading the specs.

What variance would one expect to see between the two cameras as concerns the number of potential exposures and battery endurance if each of the respective cameras is used heavily over relatively short period of time on a single set of batteries?

Thanks,
Michael
critterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 2:39 AM   #2

Default Re: Power capacity of A-70 (NiMH) vs S-400 (LI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdoc
Is it valid to compare 4x2200=8800mAh for the A-70
Not, you have 2200mah with 4x2200mah.
The only thing that change adding an AA is the volt, (total volt = AAvolt x AAquantity), the mAh are the same you find in one AA (2200 in this case).

fnuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:25 AM   #3

[quote="fnuzi"]
Quote:
Is it valid to compare 4x2200=8800mAh for the A-70...

The only thing that change adding an AA is the volt, (total volt = AAvolt x AAquantity), the mAh are the same you find in one AA (2200 in this case).
OK, I think I understand that. So does that mean that the A70 would be pumped by 6V/2200mAh and the S400 by 3.7V/840mAh?

Approximately how many exposures could one expect from each respective camera on a single set of batteries - assuming flash and LCD were off?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Approximately how many exposures could one expect from each respective camera on a single set of batteries - assuming flash and LCD were off?

I'm sorry I havent' an A70, but I ask about it and most of people answer that with 1850mah you can do about 300 photo with always lcd on and sometimes using flash.
For S400 about 130 photoes.
But I think it's better that someboy who has got it should reply to you...

fnuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:57 AM   #5

I just bought an a70 for my family. cute little camera indeed.
For batteries I found the cheap "digipower" set [charger and 4 2000mh cells - 29.99$].

In the last 2 days, I have taken over 350 pictures. [and a couple of movies].

Batteries are still in camera and show no sign of faigue.

When they finally run out - I will post a final count.

This is the nature I used my camera :
first session, about 50 pictures, over 45 minutes, camera was on all the time.

later that day.

Second session - 100 pictures, over 30 minites. [just kept pressing the shutter ].
stopped for 10 minutes when camera got a little warm

3rd session - 100 pictures, over 30 minites. [just kept pressing the shutter ].
stopped for 10 minutes when camera got a little warm and I could not stand the flash anymore.

When I say a little warm, I mean just a little warmer than usual temperature.

4th session [this morrning] - 100 pictures - nice ones.
over 20 minutes.

FLASH and LCD where on all the time.

I basically tried to figure out how many pics I can take on one charge.

For comparison:
I also have the Canon s50. it is better camera - no question about it. the only 2 things it doesn't have that the a70 do is a 640x320 video mode [for 30sec clips] and a 2000 shutter speed [which I can live without].

I run a simillar battery test on the s50, battery was out after 170 pictures with LCD and FLASH turned on.

A second battery pack for s50 is around 60$

The s400 uses a much smaller power pack than the S50, so I doubt it would reach 170 pictures with flash and LCD on.

--Erez
ErezKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 2:12 PM   #6

Many thanks for the helpful comments which directly address my question better than I originally presented it, Erez.

In considering the two canon cams, battery type and capacity were considered to be of primary importance. What I am now thinking is that four hi-capacity mAh cells would probably kick any readily available Li-ion battery's butt for cameras in the 3-4 MP category, particularly as relates to numbers of exposures possible between battery change or re-charge.

I currently have an A70 on 3-4 week backorder which has given me too much time to ponder technical e-chemistry issues and rethink my decision :P but $268 delivered seems like too good a deal on the A70 to pass on, especially if four PowerEx 2200mAh's will outperform any Li's that are available in the 3-4MP camera range.

I wonder if a local battery master would be kind enough to discuss the relationship between volt and milliamp capacity of a 6V/2200mAh NiMH vs a 3.7V/840mAh Li-ion in a typical digicam application?

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErezKatz
I just bought an a70 for my family. cute little camera indeed.
For batteries I found the cheap "digipower" set [charger and 4 2000mh cells - 29.99$].

In the last 2 days, I have taken over 350 pictures. [and a couple of movies].

Batteries are still in camera and show no sign of faigue.

When they finally run out - I will post a final count.

This is the nature I used my camera :
first session, about 50 pictures, over 45 minutes, camera was on all the time.

later that day.

Second session - 100 pictures, over 30 minites. [just kept pressing the shutter ].
stopped for 10 minutes when camera got a little warm

3rd session - 100 pictures, over 30 minites. [just kept pressing the shutter ].
stopped for 10 minutes when camera got a little warm and I could not stand the flash anymore.

When I say a little warm, I mean just a little warmer than usual temperature.

4th session [this morrning] - 100 pictures - nice ones.
over 20 minutes.

FLASH and LCD where on all the time.

I basically tried to figure out how many pics I can take on one charge.

For comparison:
I also have the Canon s50. it is better camera - no question about it. the only 2 things it doesn't have that the a70 do is a 640x320 video mode [for 30sec clips] and a 2000 shutter speed [which I can live without].

I run a simillar battery test on the s50, battery was out after 170 pictures with LCD and FLASH turned on.

A second battery pack for s50 is around 60$

The s400 uses a much smaller power pack than the S50, so I doubt it would reach 170 pictures with flash and LCD on.

--Erez