Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Questions about the Canon S50

Does the Canon S50 support an external flash? I know it does not have a hot shoe, but the kiss roll bar will fit it. Only problem, will it work?

Will the S50 fit on a tripod to keep it steady? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I am not sure if small cameras like this fit on tripods.

Can you get decent macro pics with the S50?

Anyone who has this camera, please share your experience.

Thank You.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2003, 2:17 AM   #2

Hi Gardengirl,

I am wondering the same thing about an external flash... (what's a kiss roll bar?? :? )

With regard to the tripod - I sometimes use mine on a mini tripod - the camera has the threaded hole in the bottom so I can't see a reason why a proper tripod shouldn't work...(waiting for an expert to correct me...)

The macro facility of the camera goes as close as 10cm but I guess a close-up filter would get closer shots...(again waiting... ).

Hope this helps a little.

Matt
mattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 4:26 PM   #3

Hi mattUK,

The Kiss Rollbar is a bracket that fits an external flash onto digital cameras. They have small ones and elaborate ones. The one that fits the S50 is only $14.95 U.S. You can read about it at their website:

http://www.therollbar.com/index.htm

I am just not sure it will even work on an S50. Like, can you disable the flash on the S50 and somehow activate an external one on the roll bar? How would you do that?

I don't think the S50 will take many lens attachments. I found one place that has an adpapter, but I am not sure what it's for, *lol*.

Thanks for letting me know about the tripod. Do you like the S50 a lot? Does it take great pictures?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 4:13 AM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the link - they look pretty cool.

As far as I know the S50 can't activate an external one as there's no hotshoe or PC sync socket. However - looking around the Roll Bar site - they say it will work by using a slave flash unit - the internal flash will fire and set off the external one. I'm definately going to look into the Roll Bar option - seems a good way to go.

About the adaptors - I saw a brilliant Thai website with proper add-on lenses for the S50 - unfortunately it was all in Thai and I didn't have a clue what it said - haven't managed to find an english one .

Cokin make a filter holder for digicams - it srews into the tripod socket and holds the filter in front of the lens. I think it's about 35 (probably about US$50-60??). I think they do a close-up filter... www.cokin.com

I love the S50 - I think it takes great pics and it's just about small enough to take everywhere. Have you looked at the gallery in the S50 review on here...? I haven't figured out how to post pics on here but once I do I shall post some.

Hope I've helped a bit & haven't bored you with this ultra-long post.

Matt
mattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 5:12 PM   #5

Hi mattUK,

No, your post is not long at all, I appreciate all info. Picking out a digital camera is very tough for me, *lol*.

If you can hook the bracket flash up as a slave flash, that would be great. The price for the bracket is good too.

I found this website which has an adapter for filters that fit the S50. Maybe it has other attachments as well. You can see the adapter at the link below, then click for the home page of the website.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html

I look forward to your pics.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:00 AM   #6

Hi
I'm very pleased with this camera.I bought S-50 a month ago and
still learning about many features and utilities.I have made for about 400 pictures and 90 % are good enough.
Macro function is really amazing,also lcd display is great,not made
of plastic,quality small camera with complete manualy controls,from
ISO to aperture and flash adjustment and many other controls.

fully recommended
scanover is offline   Reply With Quote