Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 1, 2003, 10:43 AM   #1

Default CANON EOS 10D AND USM IS

I have acquired a Canon Eos 10D with various objects IS to you (stabilizes to you) beyond to some normal schools EF. Recently the Canon has notified to me that the IS are not compatible with the Eos 10D. Someone of you, ace who Canon refuses to deepen, knows because? I appreciate a lot the Canon brand but this omission me seems a serious Pò. Thanks for any deepening you can offer to me. WKMAUROM
wkmaurom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:41 PM   #2

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking, but here is what I can say.

I have two IS lenses. The 28-135 IS and the 100-400L IS. They both work great with my Canon 10D. The IS is a life saver on the 100-400L, I never turn it off (and I never put it on a tripod because of that.)

Exactly what lenses are you trying to put on a 10D? With that info, we should be able to help answer if they will work on a 10D.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:51 PM   #3

Default Canon Eos 10D and USM IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking, but here is what I can say.

I have two IS lenses. The 28-135 IS and the 100-400L IS. They both work great with my Canon 10D. The IS is a life saver on the 100-400L, I never turn it off (and I never put it on a tripod because of that.)

Exactly what lenses are you trying to put on a 10D? With that info, we should be able to help answer if they will work on a 10D.

Eric

Also I have of I object IS to you (28-135; 75-300; 100-400L and 500 f/4L IS) beyond to the 17-35 f/2,8 L. But Canon Italy has very sended the three mail in the which confirmation compatibilities to me between body and does not object to you.
Till now I have not found some malfunctioning.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:05 PM   #4

I know of no reason why those lense would not work on a 10D. The IS should work perfectly. I have made this mistake before, so I mention it. Are you sure that IS is on? On the 28-135 it makes a rather loud noise, so it should be clear that it is working or not. On the 100-400L, the noise is much quieter... I used it for about 20 shots before realizing that it was off. I never noticed until I examined a few pictures on the LCD.

Since you have so many lenses, the odds are very small that you would make that mistake. But it is possible. Make sure that the switch is set to the line "|" not the zero "0".

Where did you buy the camera from? Can you take it back? Show them that it doesn't work with the lenses? This is the reason I do not mail order expensive things which can easily break. I want to be able to bring it to the store and show them the problem... it is easier to get support in person than it is over the phone.

Eric
Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:59 AM   #5

You excuse to me have not been sufficiently clear. I use with satisfaction I object it IS without some problem I give to you beyond three months. I have the passion of the naturalistic photography; especially of the birds. I have contacted the Canon Italy for knowing if I could apply to multiplier 1,4X EF on mine 100-400L IS maintaining the autofocus; The 500 f/4 he is rather heavy and often I cannot carry it in far excursions. The Canon Italy has answered to me that it is not possible to use objects it to you IS with the Canon Eos 10D. After three months of I use are astonished to me and I have asked clarifications writing others mail; to third mail me they have not still cleared because this incompatibilità exists; in all the cases they have refused of give to me to other news asking to me a contact directed with the office marketing that would perhaps have cleared not the compatibility. The Eos 10D goes very well and ago of the splendid photographies also with it it objects IS to you. My fear is that something far from house can be broken off and is remained without equipment for all the rest of the travel. Wkmaurom
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:24 PM   #6

Ah, I believe I understand you know. Sorry, for the confusion.

You have the 100-400L for the same reason I do. Great for bird photography and not that heavy (compared to other things.)

You will loose AF if you put a 1.4x TC on the 100-400L. I know, I do it some times. You can play tricks (which are outlined here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/
) to get AF with the TC, but it doesn't work well or consistantly. But it does work.

If you had a Canon EOS 1D or 1Ds, it would work, but the D30, D60 and 10D will not. Their AF system is not as advanced as those more expensive models.

I wish I was around you to take that 500mm f4 off your hands. I'd love to get one, but they are so espensive, I really can't justify it.

The rule is that the 10D will not AF at an f-stop at higher than f5.6. When you add the 1.4TC to the camera, at 400mm, the 100-400 becomes a f8 lens (I believe), so it doesn't work.

Eric
Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:52 PM   #7

English bad one mine, you excuse to me. The Canon Italy has just declared me that IS objects it to you is incompatible with the Eos 10D. has recently sold the 400 f/5,6 L Usm (optical exceptional) that it would not have created problems of autofocus with 10D and the multiplier 1,4x. But the true problem is that optical IS with EOS cannot be used 10D; I have mail of the Canon Italy (the office technical attendance) that they express declare not the compatibility of the IS with such digital body EOS them. Textually the Eos 10D are compatible only and exclusively with optic EF but not with the ISs I have correct ended to write the fourth mail to the technical service Canon to see if after 15 days I succeed in knowing why I cannot apply an IS to the EOS 10D. I think that well soon the Canon will have to explain because in this period you/he/she has been very evasive and arrogant. If the information had been divulged for time, and you shows me to You that well few know about the not compatibility, many clients you/they would have had greater liberty of choice in the purchase. Even you/he/she would not have spent the money in more for the ISs and you/he/she would be been able to otherwise regulate there; I have checked in the sites web Canon Italia, Canon Giappone, Canon USA and I have never found a reference to the not compatibility among EOS 10D and optic IS. And the evasive answer to a mail is extremely offensive and it makes me especially become rabid considering how much I have invested in the photo and in the brand Canon. In conclusion you also try You to contact the technical service Canon and you will find you to have purchased so many beautiful non usable opticses with the Eos 10D. 'It is correct this? I don't know the situation of the EOS 1Ds but I don't believe that many consumers can allow him her. I appreciate a lot however the optic stabilization and after seven years of use of my first IS I don't intend to return back. You same Eric is satisfied of 100-400 I don't believe that it will accept to return to an optics not stabilized. Nikon, that I have abandoned for motives for reliability 12 years ago, has now his beautiful stabilized opticses (80-400 VRs) and I assure you that it doesn't let so much his/her clients becomes rabid; rather it tries to convince them to maintain and to increase the represented brand. Now excused me for the outlet caused by the frustration and you accept my excuses for the boredom of the rhetoric and my regards. And please you contact Canon for this matter, if you are able. I hope that at least someone of you has an exhaustive answer. Wkmaurom
Old Aug 3, 2003, 12:17 AM   #8

The 10D is completely compatable with every EOS EF lens from Canon. All Canon EOS lenses which have IS function correctly, in other words IS works.

I do not know why Canon Italy would say differently. I can not help you any more than this. There is really nothing more to be said.

Eric
Old Aug 3, 2003, 8:29 PM   #9

Numero di Pratica Cliente:259706

La ringraziamo per aver sottoposto la sua richiesta al nostro Helpdesk.

Per quanto riguarda le sue richieste le comunichiamo che per :

1)Gli obiettivi di tipo Is, non sono compatibili con il corpo Eos 10D. Sono solo
adattabili gli obiettivi Ef applicati con un duplicatore 1,4X e 2X .

2)La Powershot S50 dovrebbe esser capace di sopportare la formattazione FAT32
delle Compact Flash, quella che lei utilizza nella Canon Eos 10D.

Ci auguriamo che le informazioni forniteLe si siano rivelate utili.
Nel caso in cui necessitasse di ulteriore assistenza tecnica, non esiti a
contattarci nuovamente citando il suo Numero di Pratica.
Per contattarci via email, la preghiamo di utilizzare il link seguente:
https://self-service.canon-europe.co....cgi?r=it&l=it
Nota: La preghiamo di non rispondere a questo messaggio utilizzando la funzione
"Rispondi" del suo programma di posta elettronica.
Cordiali saluti,
Canon Italia

Numero di Pratica Cliente: 264458

La ringraziamo per aver sottoposto la sua richiesta al nostro Helpdesk.

Siamo spiacenti di dover confermare la risposta alla sua richiesta N.259706.
Tutte le informazioni sul manuale o sui cataloghi della Canon,non sono sempre
esposte poiche` esistono vari modelli di obiettivi. Non siamo responsabili
dell’incompatibilita` di un prodotto Canon con un’altro.

Ci auguriamo che le informazioni forniteLe si siano rivelate utili.
Per contattarci via email, La preghiamo di utilizzare il link seguente:
Cordiali saluti,
Canon Italia

Numero di Pratica Cliente: 272783

La ringraziamo per aver sottoposto la Sua richiesta al nostro Helpdesk.

Se desidera inoltrare una richiesta scritta all’ ufficio Marketing riguardo la
incompatibilita’ della EOS 10D con gli obiettivi, Le suggeriamo di inviare un
fax al seguente numero:

02/84484688

Ci auguriamo che le informazioni fornite si siano rivelate utili.
Per contattarci via e-mail, la preghiamo di utilizzare il link seguente:
Cordiali saluti,
Canon Italia

For the sceptics dispatch copy conforming of the answers sent me by Canon Italia. The numbers of practice have been in increasing order since July 18 in then. I hope you are endowed with translators. I kindly ask however, particularly to those people that share my small problem to also deepen the matter in the countries of origin. I will be very thankful to all those people who will succeed in the intent. I don't now have other to add. Wkmaurom