Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:36 AM   #1

So I've been looking for my new camera and I'm thinking of the Powershot s630 or the sd630. Right now I'm just tryingto decide if I'm willing to take a slight drop in features/resolution in order to have a more compact camera. I'm not too fussed about taking 6mp over 8mp so its mainly everything else I'm thinking about here.

Aould anyone mind giving an opinion on which they personally would go for? I will be using it in a variety of different situations, often in low light. I've noticed the Fuji F31 being made as a suggestion to people looking for much the same thing as myself though I think the 630 is perhaps the better option for me. I'd probably also go for the CHDK firmware here aswell.

Basically, I'd like to know if you think either of these are good buys or if I should consider different models.

Budget is ideally around £150 ($300~) but would be willing to stretch upto about £200 ($400~) if it can be justified.

Thanks
EpilepticDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:21 PM   #2

I bought an A630 a few days ago, so I am certainly no expert.... but so far I'm very pleased with it. I wanted something smaller and less conspicuous than my big Nikon D80 for street shooting, and after looking at several different once I settled on the A630. It functions well, and image quality is quite acceptable. Most everything I shot with it has been in aperture priority mode, ISO 80. A few test shots at ISO 200 and 400 yielded acceptable results as well. I've not played with the higher ISO setting yet. Some of the features that attracted me initially are the ability to shoot aperture priority and manual, exposure compensation, reasonably quick focus time, and minimal shutter lag.
Based on my limited use I'd recommend the camera.
rroewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3

I bought an A630 a few days ago, so I am certainly no expert.... but so far I'm very pleased with it. I wanted something smaller and less conspicuous than my big Nikon D80 for street shooting, and after looking at several different once I settled on the A630. It functions well, and image quality is quite acceptable. Most everything I shot with it has been in aperture priority mode, ISO 80. A few test shots at ISO 200 and 400 yielded acceptable results as well. I've not played with the higher ISO setting yet. Some of the features that attracted me initially are the ability to shoot aperture priority and manual, exposure compensation, reasonably quick focus time, and minimal shutter lag.
Based on my limited use I'd recommend the camera.
rroewert is offline   Reply With Quote