Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:59 PM   #1

I recently orderd the Powershot A640(My first Canon:-)). I take a lot of Action/Motion shots and don't want the SD card to limit the cameras speed in anyway. What speed and brand of SD card should I get?

Thanks for any help:-)
-Dan -/-yensed
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:48 PM   #2

I have a similar canon. The regular speed SD card made for jumpy/jerky movies, but the Ultra II (Sandisk) works perfectly. Also allows faster shot-to-shot time.
gregmessages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the Reply. I called Canon a couple days ago and asked them if the camera would proform better using a fast SD card. They said the camera wouldn't be any faster(or slower) if I used a fast SD card. But really, I don't think they have a clue what they are talking about. I called Canon on a couple occasions asking what the Max Read/Write speed for the A640 is, But each time they told me the information is "Not Documented". I figure I'll play it safe and get a 2GB Ultra II... I also found out the A640 is being discontinued and will soon be replaced by its "Successor"(Which explains why the A640 is on "Clearence" everywhere).
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:28 PM   #4

Yes, this is one of these variables that they really don't have info on. When I upgraded to the UltraII, I found that (assuming I am not using the flash) I can hold down the shutter button and the camera will rapid fire one picture after the next with no pause time to write to the card, which it could not do with the regular card. In other words, you could shoot 100 pix in a row just holding down the shutter button, with no lag. Also, as I said the movies don't jerk with the Ultra card - it made a huge difference.
gregmessages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5

I think that any SD card sold today is fast enough for non-jerking videos of the A640. For that purpose you don't need an Ultra II. The speed of the card cerainly matters for the burst mode. Also, if you use the CHDK hack and use raw, then a fast card is quite helpful.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:13 AM   #6

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Also, if you use the CHDK hack and use raw, then a fast card is quite helpful.
Exactly what I was thinking yesterday. I'm interested in the CHDK hack, though I will (Presumingly) use it rarely.. I ended up getting a 2GB Ultra II from Staples for $25. Cheaper then any other SD card there.