Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 4, 2003, 7:20 PM   #1

Default 6 mega pixal cannon?

Hi
I have a G2 which I like very much. I am thinking of up-grading to a G5 but I read that the increase in pixals is not worth it. Does anyone know if Cannon is comming out with a 6 mega-pixal camera soon? Things move so quickly that maybe it is worth waiting for a few months.
Joan
jemorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:31 AM   #2

The only canon 6mp model that i know of is the eos 10d dslr, of course i'm sure either this yr or next at some point a 6mp model will be introduced.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 1:58 AM   #3

jemorgan, I also can't make up my mind. I'm not sure that 4 to 6 will make much difference, especially as now we are considering 10 or 14 mega pix. It's as if the pix in the middle aren't worth the consideration - going to digi slr. Of course, then we will have to fork out the expense of additonal lenses.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 7:42 AM   #4

the 300D or digital rebel as it is called here in the US is canons answer to "amateur" who wished to expand in both quality of image and versatility and control of function in a digital camera.
6+MP imager
interchangeable lenses
under $1000US

as to the comment on having to fork over for lenses. if you did this the quality and control of the image is considerably greater. it like having the fog lift on your pictures. there is no reason to go to 11 or 14 MP unless you crop often or print large prints like above 8x10. there is a difference though.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:34 PM   #5

Default cmos and ccd

most of the <=5 MP cameras are ccd based,
most of the 6+ MP ones I've seen are CMOS sensor.

It's probably not sensible to compare them, based on their Megapixel rating.

Noise, sensor area and all the backend system(processing & compression algorithms) are as important, when your get up to those specs.

I would assume the 'fog lifting' affect is a reduction in noise.
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:40 PM   #6

And the the flexability. You can get that longer zoom without having to sacrifice a f-stop from a teleconverter.

Or you can buy a macro lens (but many of the consumer grade $500 cameras have decent macro now, so this is less of an issue.)

Also, you'll have more control over the camera its self. It will have full manual and AV and TV modes. I don't know now many of the cheaper cameras have that. I know the really cheap ones don't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 6:07 PM   #7

no- the fog lifting is from creative control not available on digicams.
greater control over DOF.
TTL viewing. not relying on the tiny 1.8 inch or so review screen. this allows you to concentrate on image making.

there is a considerably greater amount of control in a 300D then just about any digicam made today.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote