Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:41 PM   #1

I need a new Canon - form factor like A630 or A640, with the Vari-Angle Screen, but also with Image Stabilization like on the A570 - I need them to combine these into one camera but they don't make it in this form/weight. Anyone have any guess when an update of the A630 or A640 will be out - I think these are nearly a year old, and I am hoping they will update them with I.S. Thanks!
gregmessages is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:33 PM   #2

You'll be happy to know the A640(And presumingly the A630 as well) is being discontinued. Canon is not manufacturing or shipping the A640 and its on clearance at stores everywhere. I found this out when trying to buy the A640 though a Canon certified dealer in town. The certified dealer called Canon to order it for me since they didn't have it in stock and Canon told them its soon going to be replaced with its "Successor" and its no longer manufactured or shipped by Canon.
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:49 PM   #3

Thanks - (hey, it's me - the guy that has posted to your question about the SD card). I hope that the successors to the A630/640 will still have the swivel screen - I really like that feature! thanks for the update - anyone else hear anything about the successor models?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:50 PM   #4

Thanks - (hey, it's me - the guy that has posted to your question about the SD card). I hope that the successors to the A630/640 will still have the swivel screen - I really like that feature! thanks for the update - anyone else hear anything about the successor models?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:47 AM   #5

The Canon seller contacted Canon about the successor trying to find out when it should be available for ordering. The Canon rep they spoke to said no information is available until the camera is officially released.. The rep did say Canon is in the process of getting the new DIGIC-III processor into all the top cameras, So its safe to assume thats the reason for the Successor.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:37 PM   #6

The camera series starting with the A80 and continuing with A95, A610-A640 is not updated annually like, say, the S1-S5 series. So we may have to wait longer. Also I doubt that the successors will have image stavilisation. If it would, then the more expensive G7 would become obsolete.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:16 AM   #7

Uhh, Yea. My Bad. Wrong Topic.