Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:31 AM   #1

For you canon powershot A630 owners, how difficult is it for someone to take quality pictures with this camera? Noise, gran, and blur drive me crazy, and in trying it at stores I couldn't really get a feel as I couldn't see the pics on a monitor. Is it easy to take pics without blur not using a tripod? How does it work indoors? I've read the reviews, but I'd like to hear some first hand knowledge from people slightly more advance than the amazon crowd but not from someone who'll drown me with terminology. This more a question for how the pictures look (please post your examples if you have them), not so much a "help me find a camera" thread.

Thanks.
harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2

I'm not sure if I'm any more advanced than the "Amazon crowd" but I'll post a few pictures.

When printed at 4x6,I see little difference between the photos from the A630 and my Pentax dslr.

Handheld, indoor, no flash:

"

Karen
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:14 PM   #3

I have the A640 which is exactly like the A630, But with 2 extra megapixels.. Its really simple to take great quality pictures with the camera. If its ease of use and quality you care most about, Set the quality to Super Fine and everything else to Auto. Or use the Pre-Set scenarios(Snow, Foliage, Beach, Fireworks, Indoors etc). Keep in mind the camera doesn't have Motion Stabilation. So in Low Light with No flash or Low ISO, Using a Tripod is recommended... Have you read Steve's review of the A640? Its got plenty of informatin and Sample Pictures.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630.html
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:29 PM   #4

I'm not sure what determines if one if of the amazon crowd or not, but I've had my 630 for two weeks now and have shot around 1000 pictures with it. So far I've had mostly very good shots. I generally shoot at ISO 100, so noise isn't really a problem. As for blur, all that is going to depend on light availability. In low light situations a tripod, or some other solid object to rest the camera on, is a necessity. I'm really quite new to digital photography, but have many years of shooting film under my belt. Blur from camera shake has always been a consideration. I am aware that there are cameras with image stabilization functions, thought I've never tried one, but even so, a tripod or something stable to rest the camera on will always be your best bet in low light situations.
All that said, so far I'm quite pleased with my 630. I would have like RAW capabilities, but given the price of the 630 I can live without it.
rroewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:42 AM   #5

When your warranty expires, you can hack your 630 and get raw images with CHDK (according to many posts).

I've been taking sample shots indoors at large department stores and saving them to my own SD card. Even bright stores like target I get nasty grain and blur. I got a pretty good deal on a 630 (~$170) online so I went ahead and ordered it, but if I can't get solid pics, I'm contenmplating not even opening it and taking it back. Mainly, I want a camera I could take to a zoo or baseball game and get clear images. This is really driving me nuts, as I can't seem to take a clear image to save my life.

Unfortunately I can view your sample images, perhaps due to my websense. Can you upload them to this site rather than link them? My worries about using professionals that review cameras is that they are using tripods, and I won't be able to duplicate the results since I don't own one. Honestly, most everyone seems happy with their cameras and take nice pictures except myself. Maybe it's the whole grass is greener on the other side thing.:?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:42 AM   #6

Are you messing with the settings? Have you tried everything on Auto? If your inside a store with plenty of lighting and don't have Quality set Low, White Balance set to something strange or ISO really low or high, Something could very well be wrong with the camera your using.. If your using the camera itself to zoom in on a picture, its not going to look nearly as good as it would on a computer as well. Could you post an image you've taken with the camera?
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7

Unfortunately I won't be able to post the pictures here for some time. I took pics on auto, when I didn't like that I switched to other modes (landscape, indoors, color stuff). I really haven't been able to duplicate the quality of images I see online with any camera I've tried in numerous stores, except (for the most part) in macro mode with manual focus.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/img_0036.jpg

In steve's sample photo, you can count every hair on her head and even the fibers in her sweater. I don't understand why he's able to get a photo SO much better than I am with the same camera. Did he have to use a tripod? Are his hands just rock steady? It seems that either I am totally messing something up, or they aren't using this camera. My pictures aren't terrible (some of them anyways), but they are no where near the sample ones I've seen online.

I guess at $170 I could take a risk, but I sure hate to pay that much for something that'll end up not doing what I want...

Cansomeone try to upload a decent landscape and/or portrait shot they've taken in it's full resolution?
Thanks, I'm going to get to the bottom of this.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:48 AM   #8

Does anyone know (Steve, looking at you..), are steve's sample photos taken with a tripod?

Also, still looking for someone to post their sample pic taken w/o a tripod outside of macro. Karen, I can't view your pic for whatever reason, I see a -" instead.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:14 PM   #9

I own an A640 and bought an A630 for a friend last week. I did test this camera over the last weekend. I did also use the CHDK hack as I always do with my A640. Surprisingly despite having larger pixels than the A640 the A630 seems to be somewhat noisier, but I haven't yet made up my mind about this problem. However at ISO 80 or 100 and normal light, noise is well contained.
harmonica wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I won't be able to post the pictures here for some time. I took pics on auto, when I didn't like that I switched to other modes (landscape, indoors, color stuff). I really haven't been able to duplicate the quality of images I see online with any camera I've tried in numerous stores, except (for the most part) in macro mode with manual focus.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/img_0036.jpg

In steve's sample photo, you can count every hair on her head and even the fibers in her sweater. I don't understand why he's able to get a photo SO much better than I am with the same camera. Did he have to use a tripod? Are his hands just rock steady? It seems that either I am totally messing something up, or they aren't using this camera. My pictures aren't terrible (some of them anyways), but they are no where near the sample ones I've seen online.

I guess at $170 I could take a risk, but I sure hate to pay that much for something that'll end up not doing what I want...
$170 is an excellent price. I paid 174€ including shipping and VAT. That seems to be the best price in Europe and you paid 25% less.
You can't get the best image quality with the Auto mode or one of the scene modes and Steve certainly didn't use these modes for his sample pictures. The Auto mode is primarily for beginners. More advanced photographers usually select the Av mode and then set ISO to 80 or 100. In Av mode the photographer selects the aperture (a value between 4 and 5.6 is usually fine if light is good) and the camera selects the shutter speed for correct exposure. With this setup you usually get nice outdoor pictures if light is good.
You seem to have a special problem with shake and the A630 unfortunately has no image stabilisation. Here are some general rules to cope with this problem.
1.The lower the shutter speed the higher the risk of shake.
2.The larger the focal length the higher the risk of shake. Thus at the tele end you need a significantly faster shutter speed than at the wide end. The shutter speed is shown on the display in Av mode when you half press the shutter button. At the wide end a shutter speed of 1/60 should be sufficient. At the tele end you may need 1/250 or even 1/500. If you don't get the above shutter speeds you should lower first the aperture value down to 2.8 at the wide end or 4.1 at the tele end. If that's not enough you have to raise the iso value. However you have to pay for raising the iso value. Noise increases and overall image quality deterioates with higher iso. Thus you always should try to keep the iso as low as possible.
3.The smaller the distance from the camera to the photographic object the higher the risk of shake. For very small distance, i.e. macro shooting, you definitely need a tripod. At the tele end even a distance of 1 or 2 meters requires a significantly higher shutter speed.
There are some rules to reduce shake.
1.Hold the camera with straight arms and press the shutter button graudually and slowly. It is very important to excercise pressing the shutter button in order to get a good feeling for it, because most shake is caused by pressing the shutter button.
2.The A630/A640 has a large flip out display. When you don't use the camera you should close the display to protect it against scratches. I recommend not to use the display in the standard position. Rather I always flip out the display to the left and hold the camera with my left hand at the left side of the display (NOT the camera) and with my right hand at the right side of the camera. By the lever law this reduces shake. As I already said you should also keep your arms straight. I personally prefer overhead shooting with the A640. Thus I also flip the display to the down side (45 degree) and hold the camera with straight arms over my head. That usually also gives a better perspective, sometimes you even get some kind of bird's perspective. For me personally overhead shooting also reduces shake but that may vary from person to person. The flip out display is a great asset of the A630/A640 and you use it as much as possible.
3.For advanced users there is the CHDK hack. If light is poor I use a BASIC script with this hack to delay the shutter for half a second. In this way I avoid the shake caused by pressing the shutter button.

I will post some full resolution pictures later.

kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:26 AM   #10

Good tips. Thanks. Can't wait until my camera gets delivered so I can try some more sample photos. So far everything has been inside on the 630, but the lighting at some places was pretty darn good.