Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:02 PM   #1
ir

Default A70 blurry sections on images

I recently got an A70 and like it very much. However, last night I noticed something that's really bothering me. The lower left corner and a strip up the left side of every shot is blurry. This does not seem to be a focus or DOF issue. The rest of the pic seems properly focused, and the blur extends throughout the depth of field - the same blur on objects at every distance. Just to the right of the blur, objects at the same distance are in perfect focus. It seems to be an optics problem, maybe a misalignment of some sort (I've tried cleaning the lens with a microfibre cloth to no effect). I'm going back to the retailer with some sample images, but I'm not sure what they'll do. Anyone else seen something similar with an A70?

I'm not really set up to post a sample.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:09 PM   #2

Check to make sure your lens cover is opening all the way.
Some have reported tinking lens cover.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:10 PM   #3

That should have been "sticking" not "tinking"
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:42 AM   #4
ir

Default Update

Well, I just got a new A70 last night from the retailer (they were out of stock when I went and showed them the problem). It wasn't a lens cover issue - the cover was opening cleanly all the way. It's just as though the soft corner issue many people mention extended fairly deep into the left side of the picture, especially at wide angle. The new one still has some blur in the top left more so than the other corners, but not nearly as bad as the first one. So I'm going to test the $%*%@! out of this new one to be sure everything works well and keep my fingers crossed. I urge all A70 buyers to do the same, since Canon has apparently lapsed a bit on quality with this model.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:11 PM   #5

You may have gotten a bad camera the first time. I have pics that are clear all over from mine. I can even send you proof. Canon does seem to be having quality issue with these cameras though so, I don't doubt your word.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote