Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:48 PM   #1

I have owned my Canon Sd750 for 7 weeks now and I am thinking it is defective. I cannot seem to get a clear shot indoors. All my pics come out blurry and faded looking. I am not using the tele and have tried different modes, manual, auto and indoors. I have forced the flash. I tried an experiment and took the same pictures at the same time in the same spot with my husbands cheapy kodak and my S2 IS and the pics came out nice. When I look at the exif info it seem all cameras chose the same settings and used the same metering mode. I called Best Buy and they tried to say it was because the 750 does not have image stabalization. I think that is bull because I was not zooming and the other camera didn't have IS either. I have attached a picture, can anyone help. At this point I cannot return the camera and Best Buy said they would ship it out. What a pain. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

nboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator

What did you use to downsize that photo for posting here?

The EXIF is stripped out (the information about the camera settings used to take it). That may tell us a bit more about your issue.

That photo is also a bit small to tell what issues you may have. A bit larger image (I'd make it 640 or 720 pixels wide when downsizing) would probably help. From what I can tell from that one, it may need a it of sharpening and redeye reduction, and the flash was a tad hot from an exposure perspective. But, I can't see anything seriously wrong. Camera settings may give us a clue as to what you may be experiencing on some shots.

Can you downsize it with a tool that isn't stripping out the EXIF? If you're using Photoshop, don't use save for web (use File>Save As instead).

A good free tool to use for downsizing is http://www.irfanview.com

You'll find a way to do that under Image>Resize/Resample. Just check the box to keep the aspect ratio (so that when you change the width, the height changes the same proportions), and make it around 640 or 720 pixels wide. It won't make a lot of difference what algorithm you choose. But, I typically use Lanczos. Then, when you use the File>Save As menu choice from the main menu, leave the box checked to retain the EXIF (it will be by default).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:48 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I made the file smaller by using Picassa. I do not know how to downsize a picture so I email it to myself then save it. I will try the program that you recommended. Sould I not do any cropping like I did in the other image. I guess that is why it is so small.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Administrator

If you're cropping a lot, and the subject occupied a smaller portion of the frame, you're not going to have as many pixels representing your subject. So, you wouldn't have as much detail left over and that could be part of your issue.

It's hard to tell from a smaller image. But, for purposes of getting camera settings info, almost any size would work OK. I probably wouldn't use an edited version (the editing can degrade image quality). I'd downsize from the original.

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5

Ok, I tried resizing the picture in photoshop. I did not crop it and I am also including a comparative pic using my S2 taken at the same time from the same place. It seems so much sharper and the color looks better. It just seems that all my indoor photos from the 750 are washed out and not very clear. Thanks again for helping.
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:44 PM   #6

Here is the one form the S2 IS
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:50 PM   #7

Here is another from the sd750, it seems blurry to me.
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:06 AM   #8
Administrator

The main difference I see between those cameras is that the SD750 is exposing brighter. That's why they look a tad washed out (they're overexposed in some areas).

But, they're really not too far off (considering the entire frames). Keep in mind that if you use a flash burst that is long enough to get a brighter background, closer subjects can be overexposed.

The opposite is also true (if the camera uses a flash burst that is the correct length for a closer subject, the background may be underexposed). That's why an external flash that is being bounced for more diffused light is preferred for flash photos (so that you have more even illumination).

With a built in flash, letting the camera know what part of the image is of the most interest to you is very important.

I noticed that you're using Multi-Segment metering with the SD750 shot, and center weighted metering with the S2 IS shot. That probably accounts for most of the difference in metering.

When you use Mult-Segment metering, most newer cameras will heavily weight your focus point.

So, if you're not focused on your subject, that will throw off the exposure (it may be trying to use a long enough flash burst to illuminate something further away or something that is darker than your subject).

Are you half pressing the shutter button before taking a shot, making sure that it's focusing on your subject?

AiAF is reportedly a bit unreliable. So, you may want to try turning it off. But, you'd still want to half press the shutter button and make sure your focus is locked on your subject. Otherwise, it's going to throw off both your focus and metering.

You may also want to try changing your metering to Center Weighted. That's the way you've got your S2 IS set now. Center weighted places more emphasis on properly exposing what's in the center of the frame, while still taking the rest of the frame into consideration.

If that doesn't solve it for you, your camera's metering may lean towards a slightly brighter exposure compared to your S2 IS. In that case, using a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation would probably solve it. Chances are, this will also impact your flash exposures. Take some test shots with it set a few different ways (-0.3, -0.7, etc.) until you've got it dialed in to where it's consistently the way you prefer it.

But, chances are, it's just the way you've got the focus and metering set (combined with what you're locking focus on). You may also want to try dialing back the ISO speed. I'm also seeing ISO 250 (my assumption is that the Auto ISO is setting it that way). You may want to turn off Auto ISO and let it stay set a bit lower, and see if it improves the dynamic range (range of bright to dark that the camera is capable of capturing).

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:49 AM   #9

Wow, thank you so much for all the tips. I will give them all a try. I do always half press the shutter and make sure I am focusing on the person. Other than the color issue it seems that when I zoom in on the people they are always fuzzy. I will try truning off the AiAf and try the different metering modes. Thanks so much for taking the time to checkout the pics.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:17 AM   #10

Well I tried changing several settings. It did help the exposure but to me they still seem blurry. I half pressed the shutter button with the box right on my sons face. Please let me know if you find them blurry too, maybe it is just my monitor but it surely does not seem as crisp as when I zoom in on pics from my other cameras.
Attached Images