Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:12 AM   #1

Stolen G3--is S3 IS equal in lens quality?

Unfortunately my GF had my 3 y.o. G3 stolen out of her bag 4 days ago. We're looking for a replacement and have been drawn to the S3 IS as a comparable current model. I realize this is 6 mp vs. my 4mp, but I don't care about that. I loved the image quality out of my G3 and want to replace with a camera of equal or better quality.

I don't understand the difference between the G and S lines (excepting RAW in G), but it seems that G is oriented toward a higher-end user. I got my G3 just as G5 was coming out, so I paid about $350 or so (I think). I can get an S3 IS for ~$300. The current G model--G7--is out of my price range, and probably exceeds my needs.

So, two questions:
  • S3 IS lens as good quality as G3? (I know zoom is massively d'fft) [/*]
  • What's basic difference between Canon G and Canon S?[/*]
Thanks a lot.

Nick
auntbeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:22 AM   #2

auntbeatch wrote:
Quote:
Stolen G3--is S3 IS equal in lens quality?

Unfortunately my GF had my 3 y.o. G3 stolen out of her bag 4 days ago. We're looking for a replacement and have been drawn to the S3 IS as a comparable current model. I realize this is 6 mp vs. my 4mp, but I don't care about that. I loved the image quality out of my G3 and want to replace with a camera of equal or better quality.

I don't understand the difference between the G and S lines (excepting RAW in G), but it seems that G is oriented toward a higher-end user. I got my G3 just as G5 was coming out, so I paid about $350 or so (I think). I can get an S3 IS for ~$300. The current G model--G7--is out of my price range, and probably exceeds my needs.

So, two questions:
  • S3 IS lens as good quality as G3? (I know zoom is massively d'fft) [/*]
  • What's basic difference between Canon G and Canon S?[/*]
Thanks a lot.

Nick
Hi Nick:

The main differences, as I see it, between the current G and S series cameras, are:

1. the longer zoon range on the S

2. hot shoe on the G, although the new S5 IS does have a hot shoe.

3. larger sensor on the G

4. tilt/swivel LCD on the S, the G7 lost this feature

None of the current Canon compact digicams have RAW

If you want a camera similar to the G3, take a look at the CanonA640. Ithas the same 10 MP sensor as the G7, and a very nice 2.5 inch tilt/swivel LCD. Image quality is as good, or better than the G7. It also has a good grip and ergonomics. The zoom range is the same as the G3. But note: it does NOT have a hot shoe or image stabilzation.

Hope this helps

cheers.... Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote