Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:52 AM   #1

I've been vacillating between the Canon S5 and the Panasonic FZ8 (I currently have the Olympus 550UZ which is good, but has significant focusing problems and is really slow from shot-to-shot).

In comparing the specs between the FZ8 and the S5, it seems like the Panasonic is a hugely better deal. Other than 1 less megapixel (7 vs 8) and no articulating LCD screen, the Pansonic has everything the Canon has for about half the price and in a more compact package.

Guess it's too early for a head-to-head comparison (so the important "image quality" comparison is missing at this point), but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this...
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2

Argelius wrote:
Quote:
I've been vacillating between the Canon S5 and the Panasonic FZ8 (I currently have the Olympus 550UZ which is good, but has significant focusing problems and is really slow from shot-to-shot).

In comparing the specs between the FZ8 and the S5, it seems like the Panasonic is a hugely better deal. Other than 1 less megapixel (7 vs 8) and no articulating LCD screen, the Pansonic has everything the Canon has for about half the price and in a more compact package.

Guess it's too early for a head-to-head comparison (so the important "image quality" comparison is missing at this point), but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this...
The dcresource website has posted some images from the S5, butno review yet. You can compare them with the images in their FZ8 review.... some of them areof the same subject, in the same conditions andwithsimilar focal lengths..

Here are the links to the galleries...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s5-review/gallery.shtml

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz8-review/gallery.shtml

cheers...

Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

I ran into the same dilemma a year ago choosing between the FZ7 and the S3 IS. I bought the FZ7 because the specs looked good and the price was better. I used it for a while, but it just felt like a toy to me -- the weight was far lighter than my previous camera (Minolta Dimage 7Hi). More importantly, I was never really happy with the image quality. I eventually returned the FZ7 and bought an S3 IS instead, and have been very happy with my decision since. The Canon just has more of a real-camera feel to it. The bottom line is that this is (to me) a significant purchase I intend to live with for a while. I recommend getting your hands on both cameras at a local retailer to try them out. You may even be able to bring along a memory card to insert in each camera for testing purposes -- a decent camera shop won't mind if you want to compare image quality for yourself.
requa is offline   Reply With Quote