Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 9, 2003, 4:42 PM   #1

Default E50 error message...

man...more problems with my camera. My A70 will not work now. it will not recognize the CF card. it boots up, but says, "memory card error" amd I cannot take any pictures. Then when I try to format the card, it fails about 75% through and automatically shuts down with the "E50" error message. the canon knowledgeless base was unhelpful. has any one else run across this?
ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:28 AM   #2

maybe the flash card is corrupted. have you tried putting another flash card in the camera?
shiwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 3:04 AM   #3

yeah, I have 3 of them
Old Aug 10, 2003, 2:19 PM   #4

The info from the A70 manual states:

Exx: (xx: number) Camera malfunction. Turn the
power off and then back on, then shoot and
replay. A problem exists if the error code
reappears. Note the number and contact our
Canon Customer Support Help Desk. If an error
code displays directly after taking a picture, the
shot may not have been recorded. Check image
in replay mode.

When I search the instant answer search:

The "E xx" errors (where xx stands for a two digit number, e.g. 05) are coded into the hardware of the camera itself. Some of the errors seen may be E18, E28, E30, E50, and E52. These codes provide qualified service technicians with the information to determine which component or circuit has failed or is operating incorrectly.

Occasionally, the error detected may be an isolated or intermittent instance. To check this, remove the battery for about 20 minutes, then reinsert the battery to see if the error code will reset. Also, since some error codes refer to the ability to read the information on the CF card, you may try a different CF card or reformat the CF card. Note: Reformatting the card permanently removes all images stored on the card.

Generally speaking, there is nothing the owner can do to correct the problem other than to send the camera to the appropriate Factory Service Center for correction of the error. (To get service information, please type the word "service" at the search screen.)

The serch for service yielded "How do I get service for my Canon Digital Camera?"

Their answer is: Service for your Canon digital camera is available from the Canon Factory Service Center under the terms of your warranty. If your camera is beyond its warranted period, service is available for a fee.

Please review the troubleshooting section in your Camera User Guide if you are experiencing difficulty with your camera. There are also resources available at the www.powershot.com web site to assist you in troubleshooting.

Assistance from trained technicians at the Canon Customer Care Center is available from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET). Saturday at 1-800-828-4040.

For factory service, forward your digital camera (remove the CF card and battery) properly packaged and insured, with a letter describing the difficulties. Be sure to include your name, address, telephone number, and proof of warranty (if applicable). Send to the Canon Factory Service Center at the following address:

Canon Factory Service Center
6325 Muirfield Drive
Hanover Park, IL. 60133
Telephone: (630) 250-6500

Business hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Central) Monday-Friday

Your equipment will be examined and you will be advised of the findings. The Service Center will be able to give you repair and pricing information.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:17 PM   #5

damn...that's practically the same canned response that I got from the Canon tech support rep. thanks crawl man, but I need real answers, I'll call them tomorrow, will probably wind up having to return it.

the camera screwed up my cf cards and now I can't even view or format them off of my flash reader.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:29 AM   #6

well, I found out what the E50 error message means, it means that your camera is a paper weight. Canon told me to send it in to Canon so they could look at it, but who knows how long that would have took, so I just returned it and got a new one, hope this one works out....