Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:10 AM   #1

Default Question about Canon Digicam (im a noob to cams)

Hi all. A nice young woman at AMDMB.com forums sent me here to get real opinions.

Its my bday coming up, and my mother has a card at Sears. I have been wanting to get a digicam for a long time, and now its time.

She has $200 for me to spend. I have found this camera here:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...ession.new=Yes

sorry about the long URL =(

Anyway, the nice young woman at AMDMB told me I should look at the A70.

And now that I am here, I see a lot of happy A70 users. I hear I can get this camera for $299. thats a lil out of my range, but at same time, if it is worth the money, will spend. You get what you pay for.

The one thing I need is a camera that can take pics in all areas. I build computers, and lots of time i need pics of the specific parts/chips, or to take pics of cases with neon lights in them, or in low-light, or at a baseball game (fast moving objects).

I dont want to, and will not spend more than $300 for a camera. if this means I cannot get anything decent, I will continue to wait.

I was wondering if anyone has the camera i linked, and if so, could you post a pic that you have taken? I looked through the gallery, but did not see any pics taken with that camera.

I did see a lot of A70 pics though. They reaaaaally look good.

What do you all suggest? Should I get the $199 Canon at sears?

or should i spend the extra and get the $299 A70? I am thinking I should spend the extra, but would like to know if it is still a good camera (the $199 one, cuz thats all i might have to spend and i cannot wait!!!).

thank you all for any replies. Appreciate it!

Travis H
DFI Support Tech
Angry_Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2003, 7:17 AM   #2
kex

Hi,
I don't really know that camera you're about to buy. (the $199-one)
But as far as I can see, it doesn't even have an optical zoom, which you'll miss for sure!
In addition it doesn't seem that you have to control the settings of that cam.
For those two reasons I (!) would wait to buy the Canon A70. (I got a A60 with 2MP), because you can do a lot more with all that settings, the zoom and so on.
However, I found a website with testphotos of the Canon A300.
The URL is: http://213.131.224.187/index3.htm?ht...php?cat_id=252

Just compare those pictures to the ones you saw here, taken with the A60/70 and make your decision.
If you really don't wanna use a zoom, and if you don't care not to be able to control shutterspeed, ISO and so on, get the A300, if you like what you've seen so far.

But as I said in the beginning: I would wait and buy the Canon A70.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 3:28 PM   #3

Or you could buy the Canon Powershot A60. It's almost the same as the A70, except for the maximum resolution. On the A60 it's 2.1 megapixels on the A70 it's 3.2. I don't know how much it will cost you but should be a little above $200 I guess...
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 3:58 PM   #4

Hola =)

thx for replies. I am seriously checking into the A70. If anyone has any closeup shots of pcb (circuit) boards they can show me (link me to) taken with the A70, I would really appreciate it.

also, i will be taking pics of computer cases that have UV or neon lights in them, sometimes in teh dark, sometimes in the day.

The A70 still my best bet for this?

Travis
Old Aug 12, 2003, 9:39 AM   #5
TJS

Default A70 or ?

Looks like the Sears price for the A60 is $250. I would opt to pay the extra $50 for an A70. If you look around you should be able to get one for $300 with an extra CF card as a bonus - just may have to do it on line, although there are some stores with specials like that as well. Either the A60 or A70 will do real well with closeups like you want. Good luck. :roll:
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:00 PM   #6
TJS

Default Comparing camera pictures

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM

If you look at the above link at Imaging Resource you can do side by side comparisons of most of the cameras available. It is very helpful as it will help you decide more objectively what is acceptable to you. You will also notice that some of the higher priced and larger pixel cameras do not necessarily perform better than some of the more moderate ones - at least in all areas. Since you are interesed in closeups, look at the macro views in particular. Double clik on each item you want to view once, then again to show the full size picture for comparing. The A60 and A70 did very well on all the shots. :roll:
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:59 PM   #7

Angry,

I don't know if this helps you but, here's a link to a shot of my cell phone sitting on my desk at work. (yea, it was a slow day)

http://gallery16902.fotopic.net/show...n.php?id=42279

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 7:20 PM   #8

thats a good pic mk. a few of the guys in my AMDMB forums have given me extra info and all of it points to this being the camera for me!

Travis

ps: appreciate the replies everyone!
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:13 PM   #9

If you want, I can take a couple of circuit board shots and post them.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:35 AM   #10

yes sir, i would appreciate that (hope you are a sir heh).

I going to head to Sears tomorrow to see if they can get this A70. I know I can get it everywhere else, but I have that $200 from sears to spend =)

anyone ever had Sears order something they didn't normally carry?