Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1

Default Software alternative to card reader?

I have a canon S400. I have a card reader at home, but occasionally would like to be able to load pics and videos to my PC at work using the canon supplied USB cable plugged into my S400. Can i do this with a simple free program? I do not want to install the canon software on my work PC for a number of reasons, but a simple prog to just be able to tranfer to PC would be sufficiant.

Thanks.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:19 AM   #2

That should be very easy. Is your work computer running Windows XP?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:11 PM   #3

Yes, and i already found out that XP will do it w/o additional software...it worked great. Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:08 PM   #4

Excellent!
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 4:12 PM   #5

well tell us how it worked.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 4:46 PM   #6

If you have Photoshop, it has great functionality for importing photos directly from the camera. If you're on XP, just hook it up via USB, open Photoshop, go to File->Import, and select your camera.
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 9:52 AM   #7

Of course, since you have xp, you can buy a card reader for 9.50 on newegg (free S&H) and use that instead of the camera. Most of the card readers don't require drivers with XP.

Not sure why you need to upload photos to your work computer, but this is just another idea for you to think over.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:24 AM   #8

when you import with photoshop, does it convert the file names consistent with the zoom browser?

I noticed the files are saved as IMG-xxx.jpg on the camera, then renamed to 100_xxx.jpg as they are downloaded to the computer.
ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:24 PM   #9

I have nor reason to by a card reader since i have one at home and only need to occasionally dump files to PC at work, for which the USB cable is working fine. A Canon icon shows in my computer after the PC recognises it about 5 seconds after i turn the camera on.
Thanks for the help
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:43 AM   #10

Default The other way around

Is there a way to upload pictures from the computer to the camera. I use Windows XP but Windows Explorer won't let me "drag" files to the camera. Any software which will just show my Canon A70 as a harddisk in windows explorer? Or any other suggestions, except "Buy a cardreader"?

Edit: Oh and I don't want to use the zoombrowser utility since it's very strict (more strict then the A70 camera!) in which files it accepts! To explain a bit more: There where some files that I couldn't upload with zoombrowser, but when I copied them to the CF card using a cardreader I could view them on the camera!

Any idead or suggestions?
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote