Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:58 AM   #1

I have seen prices from $319 to $499.99 for the new S5 IS camera. I assume the ones between $400 and $500 are the "USA" version and the others might be Hong Kong or elsewhere. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Is there a reason to buy the USA version for $100 more?

Thanks.
FatherJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2

look what I found about the $319 place (bestpricecameras)

These people offer low prices
once you order they subject you to high pressure upsales
If you dont buy the upsale items, you don't get you order..
Bottom Line STAY AWAY
========================
I almost bought a camera from them after I read about the infinitiphoto.com scam... but here is why I didn't:

I did a WHOIS query from netsol.com, which tells you who owns that domain name (i.e. google.com or infinitiphoto.com). I did it first on infinitiphoto and came up with this:

Brian Peterson
Joey Saideh
brooklyn
brooklyn, ny 11223
US
Email: [email protected]

Next I did a WHOIS query on bestpricecameras.com:

Registrant:
Brian Peterson
Joey Saideh
brooklyn
brooklyn, ny 11223
US
Email: [email protected]

So there ya go... they are the same company... I am cancelling my order infinitiphoto.com tomorrow morning (I JUST found out it was a scam)
=========================
They are terrible. I put an order for a camcorder and paid $150 for expedited shipping. I got a call next day because they wanted to sell me extra battery and other accessories. I said no and the camera did not show up. I called back after a couple of days because the camera had not shown up and I was told that they do not have it in stock. They were not even apologetic about it.
============================
If a deal looks to good to be true, it probably is. My story:
I looked and looked on the Internet for the best deal on a Canon Rebel XT, and found their web site. Wen I saw the $649.00 for a black-body XT with the standard Canon lens, I took the bait and ordered it online. I also ordered their "great" deal, a 512 MB high speed memory card (the We Double It to (1GIG) Free, for $149.99. I would have had to pay $40.00 for S&H, which was not to bad considering that "I still got a great deal, right? The total would had been $838.99!!!

Well, the next day I got a message from them, for me to call so they could verify my order. That's when someone there told me that this camera did not come with a battery, and that I needed to purchase either a 2-hour or a 4-hour battery. Since the 2-hour battery would cost $159.00, I asked him to add that to my order. he was ready to hang-up, but I stopped him as asked him: "Would you tell me how much the total will be?" He said, "It will be $1,112.00."

I almost hit the roof when he told me how much it would cost, and told him that my numbers didn't match his numbers. I was looking at the printout of the transaction I had done online, and the total there was $838.99. So adding $159.00 to $838.00 could not be $1,112.99!!!!

I asked him, "how did you come up to that figure?" His answer was: "That's the correct number...Listen to me...my numbers are correct, yours are not...the company will send you a $75.00 cash refund, so if you take the $75.oo out of $1,112.99, then it will be cheaper than what I have told you." I immediately told him twice to cancel the order. I was pretty mad by then, and so was he. He said, "I will charge you for a restocking fee, too." And I responded, "no you won't. I am calling my credit card company right now, and you won't get a penny."

I contacted the credit card company, and they took notes of the conversation I had with the fellow who was trying to rip me off, and the company's name. I also filed a complaint with the BBB of NY where I gave then all the details, including the following:

1. When you look at the web page where the camera is shown, you won't see anywhere any notice on a reduction of price by the cash refund from Canon, and nothing on the Internet transaction printout.

2. You won't find anywhere a description of "what is inside the box." Here is where you have to be careful, because they can say that the camera does not come with a battery nor charger, or whatever they feel like saying to make money from you.

I will buy the camera in a few days, but will order it from Amazon, or B&H, Abe's of Maine, Adorama, or any reputable store. For the time being I will keep my eyes open on what the company above does with my credit card number. That worries me a little, so I will be in touch with my credit card company. If i have any problems, i will write a letter to the NY Attorney General. However, I am sure that other Federal Agencies would be interested on this company. I clearly felt that I was being ripped off.
=================
and lots more examples...

After seeing all the horror stories regarding 'low price, good deal' on-line camera sellers, the more I believe in sticking to places like B&H. I'd much rather pay their prices and KNOW I'm going to get a square deal with no hassles and no hidden costs.
FatherJohn is offline   Reply With Quote