Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:15 AM   #1

I just purchased my first canon power shot camera a few days ago.. I was very impressed with what I read from reviews/recommendations. I was mostly drawn to the fact that its renowned for taking excellent quality photos even in low lighting conditions. I was previously using a 4 year old Kodak cx6330, being outdated and not always getting clear shots I chose the canon for the upgrade. I took 20 or so test pictures and right away I noticed every one having a sever amount of noise/blur. Indoor/out, low and high light... it doesn't make much of a difference. I tried adjusting some of the manual settings and the IOS to a lower level and still I get the dreaded grain and blur!

I'm really confused about all the hype, unless I had a defective model.. I sure hope not!

I need to mainly use this camera for taking clear and crisp quality photos in various lighting conditions. I own a small clothing business and to capture fabric texture/color accuracy with the clearest possible photos is my objective.

I was just wondering if anyone might have some suggestions as to what the problem might be - settings wise… I'm not overly tech savvy but the cameras pretty easy to understand. I have read over the manual and a few online resources an can't seem to make sense of what is causing the clarity issue.

Again any help would be much appreciated.

arcadium_victoriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:01 AM   #2

It should take sharp pictures in most circumstances with everything in automatic. Post some photos with the EXIF intact and someone might have some insight.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3

hey slipe,

How do I keep the info intact? I do not have photoshop soI don't know if that's a problem or not.I went ahead and posted a few with various settings and lighting conditions. All are pretty blurry despite holding the camera very still and having the IOS set low.I hope someone can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4

close up of leaves
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5

wooded areaunder low light
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:28 AM   #6

wooded areaunder low light #2
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:29 AM   #7

Flower close up..
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2007, 5:08 PM   #8

I agree with slipe: the A630 is a very capable camera and produces fairly good image quality if used properly. In the above pictures the shutter speed is way too low. In the first picture it is 4/10 of a second second, in the second it is 1/8 of a second, in the third 3/10 of a second. The fourth picture is somewhat sharper with 1/13 of a second but there is also a misfocus, which can easily happen if you use AiAF in a close up situation. In all the above picture there is simply not enough light to get a fast shutter speed at low iso. Thus you have to raise the iso to 400 or even 800. However, you will have to pay for the high iso with lots of noise. In general, the A630 is more suitable for better light.

kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:58 PM   #9

My viewer shows 1/3, 1/8, 1/3 and 1/13 seconds respectively. The last shot appears to be zoomed a little based on the aperture.

If you half press the shutter the camera should tell you what shutter speed it is going to use. The general rule is the inverse of the 35mm equivalent focal length. So with your camera you need roughly 1/38 second at wide angle and 1/140 in full telephoto. You can pretty much guess for in between zoom settings.

You can't just switch to shutter priority or manual and crank up the shutter speed. The lens is wide open giving you all of the shutter speed available for that light and ISO. If you set the shutter speed higher you will get a very dark picture.

If you bought the camera locally and can exchange it you would probably do better with the Canon A570 IS with a stabilized lens. It is in the same price range as your A630. With stabilization you should be able to shoot somewhere around 1/5 second in wide, and if you hold it really steady you might get by with 1/3. The only other alternative is to crank up the ISO as kassandro suggests.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:46 AM   #10

I actually bought the camera onlinecuz I got it at a better price. I'm not sure thatI can return or exchange it now. So the A570 is pretty much the same camera but with IS?.. The A 630 doesn't come in a IS model?

Its just so strange I must have read hundreds of reviews and talked to people about the A630 and its ability to take great photos in any lighting condition..maybeI was expecting to much from this little camera.

I guess I just have to get more equated with the setting better. Ill try what you suggested and see what happens.

I did take a few from that same set that came out pretty decent.. ill post them and see what your guys think.