Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:11 AM   #1

I am interested in taking portrait shots with a shallow depth of field (blurred background). Does the Canon S5 have adequate aperture settings to accomplish this? If not, I would consider the Canon XT or XTi if the kit lens would be sufficient, but I don't want to have to spend a fortune upgrading the lens. How does the S5 compare to the kit lens on the XT or XTi? Any feedback would be appreciated.
lmn927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:22 PM   #2

It is hard to get decent background blur with any compact digicam. For portraits, the best bang for your buck would be to get the XT with the 50 mm f1.8 lens. You can add other lenses and flashes to your equipment later as your budget permits.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:56 PM   #3

The XT comes with a 18-55 mm lens. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to upgrade to the portrait lens you refer to?
lmn927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:08 PM   #4
Administrator

lmn927 wrote:
Quote:
The XT comes with a 18-55 mm lens. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to upgrade to the portrait lens you refer to?
I wouldn't "upgrade to". I'd get both.

Use the 18-55mm lens for general purpoe "walk around" use, and use something like a 50mm f/1.8 when you need a lens that's sharper with wider available apertures (represented by smaller f/stop numbers) for a shallower Depth of Field or for getting faster shutter speeds in low light.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a fixed focal length (non-zoom lens).

So, from a convenience perspective (and you may need something wider than this since you can only back up so far), a zoom like the 18-55mm kit lens is good to have.
But, for many uses, you'll probably appreciate having a lens like the 50mm in your bag. It's under $100 at most vendors.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens at B&H for $79.95

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:39 PM   #5

Same thread also running here
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

Yes the ef 50 II f/1.8 is very inexpensive at around 79$us or a slightly more expensive option would be the ef 85 f/1.8 ~340$ at BH .

Unfortunately azoom with a fast enough aperture to do what you want puts you into the "L" range which is also means very expensive.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote