Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:52 PM   #1

I just purchased the Canon Rebel XT and would like to "force" the flash in certain shots such as high sun and deep shadows, How can I accomplish this ? thank you
rosemaryheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2

Read Section 6 of the manual, pages 96 through 100.

You cannot force the flash in the basic modes, i.e. portrait, landscape etc. You have to use the creative modes for that. Set the camera to one of the creative modes and press the flash button to make the flash pop up. The camera will automatically adjust the flash output for what it thinks is an appropriate level of fill flash. Personally I think the camera tends to use too much fill, so using the menuI reduce the flash output by setting about -1 flash exposure compensation. Basically that tells the camera to calculate what it thinks the appropriate level of fill flash should be, then reduce the flash output by one stop.

Note that when using the pop-up flash you are limited to a shutter speed of 1/200 sec. Under bright sunny conditions this will require a small aperture, and therefore require that your subject be relatively close since the flash isnot very powerful.

If you have an external flash like the Canon 430EX, not only is it more powerful, you can also set it to FP mode and use it with shutter speeds faster than 1/200.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:27 PM   #3

Thank you so much. That is a very understandable explanation ! I will do as you suggest !
rosemaryheller is offline   Reply With Quote