Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:22 AM   #11

Are you saying that fresh batteries could possibly crap out in 6-8 seconds???! That just isn't true. Of course certain batteries work better than others, but you could put wanky batteries in this camera and they would last for more than 6-8 seconds. Obviously there is some problem here other than the batteries.
herbfellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:37 AM   #12

Myself, and i'm sure others here, have used 'disposable' batteries at one time or another for various reasons, usually because our rechargeables died at an inconvenient time and place.

I have never gotten less than 130 or so pics from these 'disposables'. I can get up to 500 on my rechargeables, so obviously they are better, but when someone says they are dying in anything under say 100 shots, there is obviously another problem.

For anyone to say a battery is at fault when it apparently only lasts for under a minute is just plain wrong.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:47 AM   #13

No need to accuse people of being wrong. We are all talking from experience here. I bought a new pair of disposables for my Olympus C-700 a few years ago, they lasted about 25 shots andpromptly died. I went to rechargeable NiMH batteries and they lasted for hundreds of pictures. So who knows, but that is what I experienced... Obviously it depends on the camera and the make of the batteries.

It would have been nice of Joe-1957 to keep us updated so that we can all learn from his experience...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:13 AM   #14

I am only trying to help the person here, that is why they came to this forum. The camera in question is a Canon s2 is, which is what I have, so my experience regarding his problem may well be more valid than yours, with another camera. That being said, ifI got only 25 shots with a brand new set of batteries inANY camera I would be concerned.

The bottom line is that there is no instance where a new set of batteries would last 6-8 seconds. You either have faulty batteries or a problem with your camera. To tell him that disposables are his problem is misleading him, because that is not the problem. If you want to say disposables are a poor choice because they don't hold up as well as rechargeables, that's one thing. To tell him that the reason his camera won't work for more thann 6-8 seconds without getting a 'need new batteries' message is because they are disposables is another.

The only thing worse than no advice is bad advice, and I believe telling him that disposables are his problem is just that, bad advice. Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:35 PM   #15

That's why we have forums, so everyone can chime in with their own opinon since they do vary widely. That's how you learn, you take everyone's opinon and make your own choices based on that. I often don't agree with others either, but I don't tell them they're plain wrong or that they are giving bad advice.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:05 PM   #16

The problem is when opinion is used in place of facts. New batteries either do or don't last more than 6-8 seconds. This is not something subject to an opinion. I really don't want to get into a pissing match with you, just wanted to inform the person correctly, which I have done.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:26 AM   #17

I don't know why you're so set on this 6-8 second thing. All I said was that disposables will only last a few shots and rechargeables are better.

I agree, my last post here in this thread...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:49 AM   #18

Joe-1957 wrote:
Quote:
Here's the deal.
-I have an S2 IS purchased two years ago
-I went to Glacier Park yesterday, had brand new batteries (they were throwaways, I forgot my rechargeables)

-I took about 4 or 5 pictures

-Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT
Joe,

Had a similar situation a couple of years back with a Canon Powershot - forget which model. My rechargeables ran down and I had to look for throwaway batteries.

They only had standard AA "throwaways". Like you, I could only take about 6 shots then the camera would shut down.

Left alone for a while, I could turn on the camerea again and take a couple of more shots then the camera would shut down again with the message to change batteries.

When I got home, charged up my rechargeables, put them in the Canon Powershot and my camera was back to normal.

This might be the same with you.

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote