Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:35 PM   #1

Here's the deal.
-I have an S2 IS purchased two years ago
-I went to Glacier Park yesterday, had brand new batteries (they were throwaways, I forgot my rechargeables)

-I took about 4 or 5 pictures

-This morning, I turned the camera on, only to be faced with a black screen and "change the batteries"

-I thought that perhaps I had accidently left the camera turned on, so I put in some fully charged batteries.

-I took 2 pictures, then it said to change the batteries
I've changed the configuration of the batteries (not the polarity position, I've just moved them around)

-I can turn the camera on, it will stay on for 6-8 seconds, then turn black and say "change the batteries"

Is it worth it to send it in?

Thanks,

Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:36 PM   #2

Joe-

The newer hybrid batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloop batteries and the Rayovac Hybrid batteries are excellent and do not have the fast discharge rate of convential NiMH batteries. I recommend either very highly. Throw aways are exactly that, simplythrowaways that really are unable to meet the high power requirements of cameras such as your Canon S-2.

Sarah Joyce.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:24 PM   #3

Check this out.
How old are your rechargeables?
One of them may have gone south, it has happened to me.
As far as the throughaways are conerned, dump em.
Clean the the contacts in the camera.
Post your findings.
Good luck and I doubt that there is a camera fault.
Furd
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4

Furd-

That is EXACTLY why you have to buy new batteries every now and then. What ecactly is your point, Frankly I am very confused by your post.I have been around here for a long time and still I do not get your point. Can you please elaborate bit for me, or is it a mystery only you understand.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:37 AM   #5

You are a bit too abrasive for me, I think I'll just leave it at that.
Have a nice day anyway.
Furd
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:52 AM   #6

Joe, you did not mention the type of "throwaways" you purchased. For your camera you want something with high energy density as your basic cheap throwaways will die quickly — although 4-5 shots seems far too few. More than likely the purchased disposables, ifthey were even alkaline,were out of date or had been stored improperly and did not have their full factory charge.

If you must go with disposables, the Energizer Lithium e2 throwaways work well in cameras, with a quality Alkaline being second best. Just remember, digital cameras eat regular AAs for a snack, so rechargables are your best re cost effectiveness.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:35 PM   #7

I have the very same problem with my S2IS. I bought it 18 months ago. Always worked great. When I was preparing it to take to my daughter's birthday party the "Change the Batteries" message appeared. I was pretty sure the batteries were charged but replaced by other set charged the day before and it didn't work either.

Opened a new pack of AA batteries (disposable) and it worked. After 20 pictures the message appeared again. Turn off, turn on many times. Camera OK again. After a dozen pictures, the message was back again. Run to a drugstore and bought 2 sets of AA batteries but it didn't work for 2 weeks.

I sent to CANON repair center and they called me telling they didn't find any problem! How can I take this camera to travel now? I don't feel confident it won't break again!

One interesting point: I can always play the pictures. The problem happens just when I put in shoot mode.

Browsing through internet I did find references for other S2IS owners complaining the same problem. I even found some references to similar problems on other models, although not as frequent and not as clear. I like CANON. I did have good experience with their tech support before, but now I'm afraid of buying new models and face the same problem.

Rgds,

Renato
renatomintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:09 PM   #8

I can understand these problems, because they're similar, but on a different current/voltage scale, from those I've been having with the various battery power options on my new Kodak Z712is superzoom. The symptom is sudden & unexpected shutdown, after a very short period, when the batteries were thought to be fresh, or freshly recharged.

I think the problem often lies with the batteries. Modern cameras, even little point & shoots, make heavy demands for current. As electric current flows, it has to pass not only through the load (motors, etc) but through the battery itself. Disposable AA cells have quite a high internal resistance of their own. If you try to draw a large current, it may drop the voltage seen by the camera to a point where it thinks the batteries are flat, and shuts down to protect any work in progress.

At the other end of the scale I've had the same phenomenon with Ni-MH AAs, and 'rechargeable CR-V3s', in a camera designed for disposable lithium primary batteries, or a special Li-ion rechargeable battery. Sometimes they'll work well as subsitutes, and even provide hundreds of shots, but they're working near the margin of shutdown, and start with a slightly lower voltage than the recommended power sources.

It's all to do with the shape of the current-voltage curves for the particular batteries you happen to have at their particular state of charge. If you push just too far along the curve, the camera sees a low voltage and stops, even though the battery may still have quite a lot of charge.

Li primary AA & Cr-V3 batteries are a good (electrical if not environmental) substitute for other AA disposables, provided the camera can withstand their voltages.

The issue is confused by the rather rapid self-discharge of charged but unused Ni-MH cells, which is surprisingly high. Modern 'hybrid' Ni-MH are a great improvement, but they still have low voltage relative to Li systems, and even to AA alkaline disposables when the latter are drawing little current, but not on large currents.

Good luck! Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:04 PM   #9

I bought those super duper Digital batteries. I've had quite a few digicams. The only time I used throwaays was when I got my first Olympus. I was excited to use the camera, didn't want to wait for them to charge up.

They lasted a whole 17 shots IIRC.

Joe

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
Joe, you did not mention the type of "throwaways" you purchased. For your camera you want something with high energy density as your basic cheap throwaways will die quickly — although 4-5 shots seems far too few. More than likely the purchased disposables, ifthey were even alkaline,were out of date or had been stored improperly and did not have their full factory charge.

If you must go with disposables, the Energizer Lithium e2 throwaways work well in cameras, with a quality Alkaline being second best. Just remember, digital cameras eat regular AAs for a snack, so rechargables are your best re cost effectiveness.
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:55 PM   #10

As most people here have said, you might as well forget about disposable batteries. They won't last longer than a few shots. On the other hand, the rechargeables should have worked. Quite possibly there IS a problem with them. I just had to revive a few of my NIMh batteries by discharging and recharging them in a good charger for a few times.
My recommendation is to go out and spend $10 on a good set of NIMh batteries (Target, Walmart etc...), charge them up and see how they do. If they don't work, you camera probably does have an issue, if they do work, all is well. By the way, I also don't recommend using one hour or less fast chargers, they do not charge the batteries to their full potential and also kill the NIMh much faster as if they get charged in a slow charger.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote