Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:24 PM   #1

Hi all,

If you'd like to review some S5 shots take a look at the FOG and the CANADA CRUISE galleries on my site at: http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny

I put this topic here to highlight the S5. I received the camera on a Saturday, got on the boat on Monday and got the images over the next four days in some really tough conditions. The camera was so much better than the photographer.

I'll also be adding New York at Red Dawn to the galleries tomorrow and that has some really interesting dynamic range stuff.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:43 AM   #2

JG-

Very nicely done. You should be proud of yourself. I also went ahead and got the S-5 as well. I have only had it for two days so I don't havemany photos to show yet.

Have you decided which external flash you will use with it? The Canon EX430 is pretty pricey, in my opinion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah.

I have really gotten to love the S series. I'm keeping my S2 as a backup.

The Canada pictures were take within 5 days of my getting the S5 (although I knew the S2 so I had a head start). I wish they had left it at 6 MP but it is a great camera.

The Fog Series isthe first set of consistently good images I've ever taken. Unfortunately, I have since regressed to my usual 5 or 10 out of 100 ratio, but at least for 4 hours I was good at this.

I'm looking at the 430 EX because I have a birthday coming up and I can, therefore, pretend that I'm not paying for it. That being said, it is pricey and, like a DSLR, I'm not sure I have the technical ability to use it well. I need to read up on flash techniques and technicals a bit. We'll see. Maybe I'll settle for another tie.

Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:32 PM   #4

John-

Here is a photo I took this morning right after sunrise. Thanks for the info on the external flash. I am going to savesome $$ and give the Opteka EF-600DG Super a try. I will post some photo samples from the test.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:05 PM   #5

Hi John-

Well here is that first photo from that Opteka EF-600DG flash. I used bounce flash and am very pleased with the results. It cost $119.00 from Amazon.

Sarah Joyce

Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:24 PM   #6

Sarah,

The Flash Pic is just a red X. Didn't come thru.

I like the dawn image a lot. I took the liberty of running it thru Noiseware. See if you like it this way.
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:50 PM   #7

John-

Yes, I agree with you, the dawn photolooks much better. Here is the flash photo again.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:57 AM   #8

Sarah,

Does the Optek "read" the S5 or do you hand set it every time? Does it sync correctly with the S5 shutter? Do I even know what I'm talking about? Probably not but I'se larnin.

Anyway,nice flash exposure and certainly way better than the onboard "noselight" flash.

JG
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:44 AM   #9

John-

Good Morning to you.

The Opteka EF-600DG works full automatically with the S-5, and it requires no manual setting. I am very pleased with it.

Here is my photo for the day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:29 PM   #10

John-

A bit more about the Opteka Flash. What is nice is that it works with my Canon 20D and my S-5. When the flash is unsed with Canon's DSLR cameras, the flash also provides a focus assist, which is not available to the S-5. Here is a sample photo from the S-5.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images