Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1

Hey folks,

I was wondering what people thought of the Face Detection AF? Is it useful? Just a gimmick? Can it be an hindrance? Do all the DIGIC III models have it?

Joy
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:27 PM   #2

Yes, because face detection is a component part of the Digic III module, all cameras equipped with the Digic III have face detection. Most users like it a lot as it focuses on the most important thing in your photo, the people. A few don't like it. However, it can be turned on or off as desired.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:42 PM   #3

Sarah, you are a monster! We should be paying you for all the help you give to all of us. Thanks again for jumping in to answer a question. (I'd figured out the DIGIC III part myself, but it's good hear folks like it. The pros only mention it in one of the thee reviews I'm looking at (again and again)...850IS, G7, and S5IS...wish I could get my hands on all three to see if I'd hate a bigger camera. Probably gonna play it safe get the 850IS for portability, but that is OT).

I really like the idea of the feature! When trying to shoot an active two year old and her friends, anything that will make my focus time faster is welcome. I've missed too many shots while my S400 was focusing. Even better if it will help me get the exposure correct for faces. A picture taken correctly at first means less effort in Photoshop for me and is far superior overall. Still, I'm glad it can also be turned off.

Thanks!

Joy

joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4

Joy-

Most parents with small children really appreciate the face detection feature a lot, because a shorter focusing time is so important.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5

It really works! DIGIC III is fast too. I love my A 560
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 1:58 PM   #6

Before I had a cam with face detection I thought, it would be like "just one of this gimmicks ...". - - - But very soon I became a fan of FD on my S5 - one good thing amongst it is, it prevents faces from getting overexposed, especially also with my Speedlite flash.
donato is offline   Reply With Quote