Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:47 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Question, I've kinda talked myself into the Canon S5 IS instead of the digital Rebel since i'm just using it around home, holidays, Hunting photos, and making family photos 8 1/2 x 11 for the house etc...

One thing I like about the S5 IS is the 12x Optical Zoom which would be great for the hunting photos.

I also do work with digital camcorder and put photos in that as well for home movies etc.

Would you go with the 5IS as that is all the camera I would need, or would you recommend to go all out and get a DSL Rebel XTI?

I see futureshop is selling the older Rebel as well, but I'm sure if I went with the rebel option I would go with the 10 MEG newer one... unless you guys suggest otherwise.

Also, Walmart is carrying the S5 IS reg price for $529.00 canadian now, but I have the option of getting it for $449.00 this weekend on special.

Confused in Canada and looking for suggestions.

Anyone have input on this?

I'm thinking hang in there as it's not a needed purchase right this weekend and maybe I should spend the money and go all the way on the Rebel XTI on a boxing day special or something of that nature. You know when it's big savings and price blowout etc.

Currently using a 2.2 kodak (oh my god it hurts to type that <lol>

Vince

Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2

Sounds like the S5 should be a pretty cheap and decent solution for your needs.

If you wonder what its really up to, you can check the photoart on my page, sebastianfoto.se

All photos, except three or four from older cameras, are from the Canon S3.
The S3/S5 have the same lens and is like totally the same camera, except the newer S5 has 2 more MP (who cares?), a bit faster overall, and ability to use external flash (very nice).

Almost all my macroshots are taken with a closeup-lens, just so you dont expect macros like that from just the camera...

Good luck
sebastianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Sebastian-

That is a lovely collection of photos. You should be very proud of them. They are a fine tribute to the capability of the Canon S-3IS. Well Done!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:00 AM   #4

Good Morning, Vince-

Well, as you can see from Sebastian's beautiful portfolio, the Canon S-3 is certainly a capable camera, as is the Canon S-5. The real issue that should be considered in making your decision, is that while you can get the Canon XTi for around $(US) 650.00, it would take another $(US) 1,000.00 to $(US) 1,500.00 to purchase the lenses necessary to duplicate the zoom coverage that either the S-3IS, or the S-5IS can provide to you.

Here in the USA, the S-5IS sells for $(US) 360.00.

To duplicate the lens coverage provided by the S-5IS with the XTi would cost you around $(US) 2,150.00.

Personally, I would rather spend the $(US) 360.00 for the S-5IS. However, it is indeed your money and you must decide which camera you want. I have attached a S-5IS photo for your reference.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Sebastian-

That is a lovely collection of photos. You should be very proud of them. They are a fine tribute to the capability of the Canon S-3IS. Well Done!

Sarah Joyce
Thanks

Nice flowershot you posted too I think.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:37 AM   #6

sebastianr wrote:
Quote:

If you wonder what its really up to, you can check the photoart on my page, sebastianfoto.se

The S3/S5 have the same lens and is like totally the same camera, except the newer S5 has 2 more MP (who cares?), a bit faster overall, and ability to use external flash (very nice).

Almost all my macroshots are taken with a closeup-lens, just so you dont expect macros like that from just the camera...

Good luck
sebastianr - just curious what type of macro lense your using. I'm considering an S5 too as an alternate to forking out $$$ I dont have on an XTi. With the addition of a macro lense and posibly a telephoto multiplyer I think I'll have everything I need really.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:57 AM   #7

mInDtrIP wrote:
Quote:
sebastianr wrote:
Quote:

Good luck
sebastianr - just curious what type of macro lense your using. I'm considering an S5 too as an alternate to forking out $$$ I dont have on an XTi. With the addition of a macro lense and posibly a telephoto multiplyer I think I'll have everything I need really.
I have the Raynox DCR-250, but would rather recommend the DCR-150 I think, which has a little less magnification. The 250 is a bit too much in some situations.

A tele for the S5...well, I dont think you should expect too high image quality then. Chromatic abberations already ruin a lot of teleshots, its really the big problem with this camera, and a teleconverter in front will probably make it even worse, and also they are very expensive (compared to the closeup-lenses anyway).
432mm tele is pretty much as it is anyway, not many DSLR-lenses that go much further.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. The macro I have more use for, the tele multiplyer I'm not to worried about. but out of curiosity no one has got good results with a multiplier? I'm not talking about 3X or anything but maybe 1.5X?
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:13 PM   #9

Very nice photo collection...

I got my S5 IS and am in the process of the manual settings to get a good feel on it.

I'll hopefully post some photos soon once i get things working the way i like. Just hope I have the same eye as others seem to have in a good picture <lol>

Thanks,
Vince

Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:09 AM   #10

I know this reply is somewhat belated, but I thought for future readers it might help.

I bought an S1 IS some years back. The major draw back that I wanted to overcome was its paltry 3.2 megapixel images. So, its been about 4 years and I started saving up for an XTi. My plan was to start out with a body and get the new Tamron 17-300mm. For such a wide ranging lens its gotten great reviews.

At only $350 saved up (I would need a bit over $1000 to make my purchase), my S1's CCD died. As it turns out, it was a manufacturing defect and Canon USA owned up to it and, though way out of warranty, fixed it for free. The odd (and wonderul) thing is that when I got my camera back there was a note that said they no longer had the parts to repair and sent me a new camera... an S5. I was quite happy, to say the least.

So, I now had a dilemna, kepe the S5 or sell it and use the $ towards a XTi. After thinking about my above plan for the XTi, i realized I was essentially duplicating an S5 with a XTi . Yes, I know there are some quality differences (like the CCD granularity, dust shake, etc). But we're talking $400 spend 4 years ago, or $1000 today, when the S5.. and here's the clincher... already has built_in image stabilization.

So I went with keeping the S5. Even so, looking back now, I probabaly would have switched to an S5 because:

1) I'm an amatuer
2) I do not plan on getting many lenses (with that Tamron I wouldn't need many more)
3) price/performance was at worst equal

I hope this helps.
mmboost is offline   Reply With Quote