Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:45 AM   #1

Hi there im new to photography i have the Canon g7 and see there is a new canon sx100 10x optical zoom .W

which is better ? would i be any better buying the sx100 for the extra zoom

Would the quality be any better or worse than my g7 .

which one will give better image quality

g7 or sx100

is the g7 or the sx100 sensor better
jeanette62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:10 AM   #2

jeanette-

The question: "Which is better, the Canon G-7 or the Canon SX-100?" is sort of relative, as these cameras are completely different cameras targeted at two entirely different market segments of camera camera users.

As I understand it, and I may indeed be wrong, the introduction of the Canon SX-100 was to give the A-series cameras an ultra zoom alternative camera for newbies and folks just getting started in photography at an economical price point.

Canon also probably recognized that Panasonic's TZ-3 model was siphoning off a measurable number of folks who wanted a more compact and transportable ultrazoom camera, that would be ideal for such things as a travel camera.

In contrast, the Canon G-7 and the newer G-9 are considered to be Canon's "flagship" point and shoot cameras, targeted to the real camera enthusiasts who want the very best in point and shoot cameras.

At least that is my "take" on these two cameras for what it might be worth. I hope that helps. Have a great weekend! I have attached one of Canon's sample photos from the SX-100 and the a G-7 photo for reference.

Sarah Joyce

The Canon SX-100:

The Canon G-7:

x
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:33 AM   #3

Thankyou im not a beginner ,i understand a littlebut still reading on apature etc.

where did you get the canon sx100 sample photo i cant seem to find any on the uk site ??:?

I want a camera for concerts, i cant get a tripod in as i will be chucked out the arena so looking for one with good settings and good results als i wont be using the flash ,mainly boy band concerts with my daughter and rock concert with my son.

we cant use slr camera either as they are taken from you at the door search

Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:42 PM   #4

jeanette-

Neither of these cameras you asked about (the G-7 and the SX-100) are very good for shooting in a low light level shooting environment where a high ISO setting is required. You would do much better with a Fuji F-20, F-31fd, or a F-40fd, which are very capable of taking excellent photo in such environments.

I got the Canon sample photo from the SX-100 from the Canon USA website.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
jeanette-

Neither of these cameras you asked about (the G-7 and the SX-100) are very good for shooting in a low light level shooting environment where a high ISO setting is required. You would do much better with a Fuji F-20, F-31fd, or a F-40fd, which are very capable of taking excellent photo in such environments.

I got the Canon sample photo from the SX-100 from the Canon USA website.

Sarah Joyce
Hi thanks again these i took in an arena with my canon s3is but its too big for some arena's to let in hense why im looking for 1 with a big zoom and small size.

These were taken 200iso p mode -1 exposure i dont think they are too bad for a concert photos and 1st time i used the camera still to learn manual stuff lol.

sorry for the writing on them as they are the links i used for the bands website photos i have posted

Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:37 PM   #6

jeanette-

I agree with you, those are pretty darned good photos for a concert photo environment. The problem I have discovered is that at some concerts, you can't get past the gate/security/guards/hassle or whatever with a camera as big as the Canon S-2IS.

That is why I suggested the Fuji cameras, that do very well in a concert photo environment, but you have to be right up close. Based on your need for zoom, and not being able to get right up front, I can see why you are considering the SX-100 and the G-7. Because the G-7 has a larger imager, it will do better than the SX-100, but the G-7 has less zoom. It is sort of a very difficult situation.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:39 AM   #7

yes it is lol,i have the g7 and i notice that the zoom is no way nearthe canon s3is which i already know as its only a 6 x zoom i was hoping maybe i would be able to crop some .

most of the concerts we goto are reserved seating those that are standing i dont too old i get seats in the balconys but they are almost half way back in a 12 ,000 seated venue WEMBLEY.

Hense why im thinking of the new canon. I dont anna get rid of my canon s3 is as i love the camera BUT concerts/ venues dont always let them in as you know they look like a slr to an untrained eye.and it has the

S3IS 1/2.5" CCD with 6 mpwith a DIGID II

IMAGE PROCESSOR

but the new canon has 1/2.5" CCDwith 8 MP but the DIGIC III

IMAGE PROCESSOR

Where as the canon g7 has a 1/1.8" CCD with 10mp andDIGIDIII

IMAGE PROCESSOR

SO AM I READING THIS RIGHT THAT THE NEW SX100 HAS THE SAME INSIDE AS THE CANON S3 IS AND A BIGGER SENSOR THAN THE CANON G7 SO WILL BE BETTER QUALITY WITH NOISE ?????????
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:11 PM   #8

Jeanette-

The Canon S-2IS, the S-3IS, S-5IS, and the SX-100 all share the same size CCD sensor (1/2.5"), even though the pixel count does vary on each of these sensors.

The Canon G-7 uses a measurably larger sensor, the 1/1.8" sensor. Therefore, it will be better in a low light level shooting environment, by showing less noise, which is a function or characteristic of the larger sensor.

The Canon S-2IS has 12X optical zoom
The Canon G-7 has 6X optical zoom
The Canon SX-100 has 10X optical zoom

So, in the final analysis, noise-wise, the G-7 will be the better camera, as the other cameras all share the very same, but smaller, 1/2.5" sensor, and the characteristics of that smaller sensor is to show more noise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:28 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jeanette-

The Canon S-2IS, the S-3IS, S-5IS, and the SX-100 all share the same size CCD sensor (1/2.5"), even though the pixel count does vary on each of these sensors.

The Canon G-7 uses a measurably larger sensor, the 1/1.8" sensor. Therefore, it will be better in a low light level shooting environment, by showing less noise, which is a function or characteristic of the larger sensor.

The Canon S-2IS has 12X optical zoom
The Canon G-7 has 6X optical zoom
The Canon SX-100 has 10X optical zoom

So, in the final analysis, noise-wise, the G-7 will be the better camera, as the other cameras all share the very same, but smaller, 1/2.5" sensor, and the characteristics of that smaller sensor is to show more noise.

Sarah Joyce

hi Joyce thankyou for all your help i think i understand now thought it was the other way round though the 1/1.8 was smaller than the 1/2.5 sensor its all very complicated lol.

Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:20 PM   #10

You also have to take into account the maximum aperture while it's zoomed in all the way. Typically wide angled aperture is f/2.8, which has a bigger opening and therefore lets in more light than most cameras zoomed in (f/5.1, or f/4.3 at 10x in the SX100's case, which is pretty good). In most digicams the more zoomed in you are the less light it gathers, so you have to increase the shutter speed (steadier hands) or ISO (noisier picture) to compensate for it.

As for G7 versus SX100, I would go with the SX100, even though the G7 does have a slightly bigger sensor, it also crams more pixels into that sensor, so the effect is canceled out somewhat. Given the much higher price of the G7, I think most of it goes into the higher quality components (therefore heavier footprint and feel of the G7). And the marketing folks saying the G series is for "serious" photographers (but not serious enough to include RAW format for whatever reason). the SX100 has fully manual controls so even though it's targeted to beginners, it has advanced features (can't say the same for sony/panasonic/other manufacturer's "beginner" line of cameras.
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote