Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:37 AM   #21

mcliu-

The basic issue is too much light resulting in overexposure on all three photos. Personally, I would much prefer to bounce the flash off the ceiling. The lighting would be much less powerful, giving you an exposure that was correct, and your dog would be much happier with you because the light was indirect and a good deal softer.

The first photo shows the flash head in the Ceiling Bounce & Fill Light Position. This directs the bulk of the light upwards to bounce off the ceiling, and let's a bit spill foward to balance the light on the subject's face. The second photo is the Full Ceiling Bounce which bounces virtually all the light off the ceiling.

I believe either of these would give much more effective lighting for your photo. Please let me know how it works out, Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 AM   #22

Thanks sarah , I will give it a try and let you know
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:10 PM   #23

mcliu-

Thinking of the flash photos of your dog, when I saw this photo, I thought of you. This photo uses a fill flash in the upper pight hand corner. The use of the fill flash is to highlight the dog's beautiful coat. I think the color is a bit off in the photo, but this photo demonstrates the technique quite well.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:12 AM   #24

01/04/2008

Just a quick follow-up to the S-5 Flash Tutorial. The techniques within the S-5 Flash Tutorial, actually apply to all hot shoe mounted flash units. Here is an example photo taken last night of my husband using an Olympus E-410 equipped with an Olympus 18-180mm lens and the Olympus FL-50 flash.

This photo was taken with the flash head tilted toward the subject by about 15 to 20 degrees. Therefore the bulk of the light was bounce flash, a very effective, no shadow type of lighting.

I will only be home for just 4 days before I head out once more for another month of teaching, but I will be happy to handle your questions during the time that I am home. We leave once again on Tuesday morning early at 7:00am PST.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:43 AM   #25

Thanks Sarah for making flashes easy to understand. I am going to buy one for sure now that you explained how to use it.

Sorry to be asking this dumb question butwouldIuse the external flash for all the pictures in the house or could I just use the external flash all the time?

The flash in the camera is only good for 10feet so that isnt very far unless you are doing close up.

Sorry I dont know much yet but I am learning and so glad that there are great people like you willing to take the time to teach.

Cathy
flaggirl1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:18 AM   #26

flaggirl-

The S-5 is an excellent camera, but the best photos are obtained when the ISO setting is kept to ISO 200 and below.

In addition the S-5's built-in flash is range limited to 10 feet or less.So if you want to eliminate those ugly, harsh shadows in your flash photos (please see my attached sample photo) then use an external flash and employ bounce flash, which is very effective.

I take lots of indoor photos and I use my external flash to do it. In the long run you will be more pleased with your photos if you take a minute and mount the external flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:00 PM   #27

Well.. just ran across this! Excellent post. I am now considering the Opteka EF-600 DG Super E-TTL flash as I think the Canon flash is way too expensive!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:45 PM   #28

Jack-

In all fairness, I have to give this small warning. My Opteka Flash has worked flawlessly and continues to do so. However, after I recommended the Opetka flash to a friend and she ordered the Opteka EF-600 flash, it failed in the first week. Now she is angry with me, and has a problem to deal with between herself and the retailer.

So please be cautioned.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:58 PM   #29

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jack-

In all fairness, I have to give this small warning. My Opteka Flash has worked flawlessly and continues to do so. However, after I recommended the Opetka flash to a friend and she ordered the Opteka EF-600 flash, it failed in the first week. Now she is angry with me, and has a problem to deal with between herself and the retailer.

So please be cautioned.

Sarah Joyce

and that would be digicamluvngirl

What do you think what happened there?

Can I have permission to post some of your jpgs on another forum?

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:02 PM   #30

A very nice tutorial indeed! I feel like I must now find myself an external flash! But like many, I am having trouble convincing myself to spend the $ for the 430EX... the optica sounds interesting, but as per your warning, its still 3rd part and still over $100. Does anyone have any experience with the Bower flashes? A quick search on ebay revealed the Bower SFD35C seems to be the equivilent, and at around $70 its still almost half the price of the Opteka.
I really dont want to buy something that is a piece of crap, but I also dont want to spend $130 on one thats also questionable and probably difficult to return. Hmmm.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote