Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:41 PM   #1

I have just ordered a Canon S5 IS and have some questions that I have not seen covered in the various reviews: How long do NI-MH batteries (assuming 2000 mAh.)last in movie mode. Also, do I need a very fast SD card...what should I be looking for when I go to buy a SD card. Any sugestion on how to determine if the batteries are fast enough for my camera and shooting needs?

Thinking of buying two 2 MB cards. I have two upcoming weddings (two weeks apart) and I want to be prepared with the right cards and enough batteries to cover the events without being shut down due to lack of capacity.

On the question of batteries, I have questions on how to determine if a particular battery is up to snuff? I have four sets that I have used with my S1 IS and I think that two of the sets have one or more bad batteries, but I can't identify which battery are or are not working right. The battery meter that I am using shows no difference amoung the batteries before charging (when the camera says no go)or after charging. Are there battery meters available that do a better job of recording state of charge

Thanks in advance

FredH
FredHS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2

As far as the memory card is concerned all current SD cards are sufficient for [email protected] fps videos with the exception of perhaps some very lousy ones from Hong Kong. Even MMCPlus card work very well with Canon Cams.
As far as batteries is concerned you should go for a good charger. It detects bad batteries and doesn't overheat the batteries while charging.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:12 PM   #3

Thanks for your quick response.

Any recommendations on a better charger. My current one is not rejecting the currant batteries, though I remember a while back it would not accept some AAA batteries. It would seem that the best way would be to charge each battery separate from the others, each would be charged on it's own basis/condition
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:20 PM   #4

This is a 'RS' to the previous reply: When you say 'all the current SD cards are sufficient for [email protected] fps videos, are you referring to say the standard ScanDisk cards or the Ultra's? Which has a higher requirement; [email protected] fps videos or continuous shooting at 1.5 frames/sec?

Thanks again
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:54 AM   #5

Yes, Sandisk Standard are sufficient for recording movies. Ultra II are even better and Extreme III are the best. Transcend is also a decent brand. The Transcend 150x card are almost as good as the Extreme III cards.

Sanyo, the world's leading producer of NiMH cells, recommends chargers with Peak Voltage Detection or PVD as optimal. Delta U is also a good charging method and more widespread. The best chargers also have a temperature sensor to stop charging, when the temperature exceeds a certain temperature. After all heat is the battery killer. Finally very good charger allow you to select different currents for charging. 750 mA is the best, but most chargers use 1000 mA and more to charge faster. You pay for the speed with reduced battery life time. It is difficult to recommend a brand, because most brands are local. Ansmann seems to be a global brand. Their better chargers using Delta U are good but certainly not the best.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:02 AM   #6

FredHS5 wrote:
Quote:
This is a 'RS' to the previous reply: When you say 'all the current SD cards are sufficient for [email protected] fps videos, are you referring to say the standard ScanDisk cards or the Ultra's? Which has a higher requirement; [email protected] fps videos or continuous shooting at 1.5 frames/sec?

Thanks again
The requirements for sustained continuous shooting at 1.5 fps are much higher than for [email protected] fps videos. For continuous shooting at the highest speed you need a high speed card like the Ultra II or the Extreme III. The Sandisk Standard is definitely too slow for this purpose. Also no name cards labeled "high speed" are often not really fast enough for continuous shooting. MMCplus cards should also be fast enough for continuous shooting. However, MMCplus cards work only well with Canon cams. Most other manufacturers discriminate MMCplus cards.