Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:35 AM   #11

Which Olympus do you have?

We have had the C750 for a long time and have been vary happy with it. The newer Canon S2 that we bought looks to have no real advantage in PQ but has a lot faster shooting and better video I'm not sure about the IS yet, the number of keepers is around the same for us.

After our last out of town weekend my wife was looking through all the shots from the Canon and most were good but none were great like we some times got with the C750.

The C750 also has a hot shoe and is much stronger made and smaller. The zoom is klunky though and it wrights so slow!

I have found that auto mode with the S2 in low light will be too noisy for my taste where the exact same shot with the 750 looked fine. After adjustmens to the S2 it was fairly close but I still think the 750 had a edge in saturation in saturation and nois in low light.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:37 PM   #12

>I have found that auto mode with the S2 in low light will >be too noisy for my taste where the exact same shot with >the 750 looked fine

i agree "ArizonaVideo" with all u say. i had C4000, and all shots in low light looked fine and i never used tripod with my olympus.. (look at "canon.jpg", the last one, there're only a table lamp and i didn't use flash), but with canon I CAN'T shoot in low light because the photos are TOO noisy! i miss my last camera so much =(

pple i know "noise.jpg" it's with zoom, and the first one (with my cat) its with high iso, sorry i didn't noticed it, but the "canon.jpg" file DON'T have any zoom and it's with auto iso (not high).

For JimC:

>One is that you're not using the flash (which means the >camera is going to increase ISO speed unless you set it >yourself).
>So, either use the flash, or use a tripod and set your >ISO speed lower if you're going to try and shoot by a 75 >watt lightbulb.

i know, but with the same light with olympus (without tripod and without flash) i had much better photos and there wasn't any noise.
_jessica_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:42 PM   #13
Administrator

Look... I'd expect to see some noise in light that low using Auto ISO (and your Canon may be using a higher ISO speed in Auto ISO versus your Olympus, too. That's because has higher available ISO speeds compared to your old Olympus if it was the 4000z.

Also, the Olympus photo was a concentrated light source on a reflective subject (the white paper on the desk). You'll have one heck of a lot more light shooting that kind of photo than you will of a subject further away.

But, something is not right with your camera settings.

Those photos look pixelated, and the information screen you have on one photo shows 1200x1600 with 2x Digital Zoom, even though the lens was at the wide angle setting.

That may be a side effect of some kind of mode you've got it set to (for example, the postcard mode could be trying to remove pixels from the image, versus downsampling it to give you 2 Megapixels total). I would always shoot at full resolution (which you're not doing from what I can tell).

I'd reset everything back to factory defaults. You'll find a Reset All menu choice in your Setup menus.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:02 PM   #14

ok, i'll try.

what's the difference between postcard 1600x1200 and the sample 1600x1200?
_jessica_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:15 PM   #15
Administrator

I think one is designed for 4x6" prints. But, I'm not sure how they are accomplishing it (probably by giving you a cropped view and still storing it in a 4:3 Aspect ratio). You'd have to look in the manual and see if it provides more details.

But, I'd always use the highest resolution your camera supports. I've seen odd image quality problems with some camera models before in the way they were handling reduced resolution images.

Memory card and hard disk space is too inexpensive anymore not to store high quality images. So, I wouldn't suggest using anything other than full resolution images, and I'd use the best JPEG Quality setting.

IOW, I'd set the resolution to 3264x2448 and the Image Compression to Super Fine (or no lower than Fine if running low on memory card space).

Also, if you start out with a higher quality, higher resolution image, any image noise is going to be less noticeable at a given viewing/print size later after either printing it, or downsizing it for web use.

Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:49 AM   #16

Well I have both a Olympus C750 and a Canon S2 which look really close most of the time. I took about 100 shot of the kids today with a soft box and some 5000K CFL lights and it was really hard to tell the difference, both did a good job.

I uploaded 6 pictures from both cameras at low light in auto and manual mode. It does look like the Canon may go into ISO 400 in low light but the exif did not say what the ISO was for the Canon in auto.

The room has around 70 LUX or two 65 watt lamps. Both cameras blew the white balance and I left it on auto.

The better looking shot was the Canon at ISO 50 but the shutter time was 2.5 seconds.

The first shot will be the C750 in auto next will be the S2 in auto.

http://jarods.com/sanyo/ISO200.JPG

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/Cauto.JPG

Next is both at ISO 200 with the C750 first.
http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/200.JPG

And the Canon at ISO 200

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/CISO200.JPG

and last the Canon at ISO 50. I forgot to shoot the C750 at 50 but I think you can see both cameras can make good pictures if you fully expose the frame.

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/CISO50.JPG

To make the A630 look a little better I would lock the ISO to 200 and set the EV to +.3.* This will fully expose the frame and reduce noise. Does the A630 have a high sensitivity setting with lower rez?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:44 AM   #17

After looking at the two prints the C750 looks a lot better but the Canon is under exposing so I re took two shots with the Canon S2 with the EV set to +1. The first is auto and the second is ISO 200 with the EV +1.

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/auto3.JPG

Then at ISO 200 EV+1

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/201.JPG

This is a lot closer for the Canon but I would still give the edge to the C750!

The ISO 200 shot for the 750 has a 1/5 shutter time and the S2 at 200 had 1/4 so it is about fair.

The Auto mode looks vary good with the EV set up some so it is anyones call. If you look at the green the Canon might have and edge but I like the red a little better on the C750.

I would guess the main thing is the Canon under exposes in low light so use the EV setting.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:18 AM   #18
Administrator

ArizonaVideo

I removed the code tags from around your image links. We'd prefer it if members didn't post images that large, since members have to scroll right and left to read the text in the thread, plus some members are still on dialup and those images are around 2.5MB each. ;-)

Actually, even the existing images in the thread are larger than Steve likes to see. He prefers that members keep them around 640 pixels wide. But, I usually let them stay if they are a bit wider than that.

2592 pixels wide is a bit much though. ;-) That makes it too hard for members to read the thread, since most members are not going to have monitors with resolution that high.

So, I'd either post links or downsize them some more before embedding them.

Note Steve's comments in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

Even the images from the Original Poster are larger than desired for posting here.

Thanks for understanding.

JimC

Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:01 AM   #19

It just saved me from re sizing then and I'm not sure if the exif data will remain if I re size them.

Just for testing it might be just as easy to take smaller shots.

I to like 800x600 images so I don't have to scrole around but I have seen many pictures much larger.

Please don't tell me that any one looking at many Jpg's has dial up?

Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Administrator

Yes. We do have forum members that are still on dialup.

Not every location has high speed internet available yet.

As for resizing, if you're using Windows, I'd try Irfanview.

It can even resize in batch mode and you can retain the EXIF and IPTC data. I usually use around 80 to 85% on the JPEG quality slider to keep file sizes down for images of around 720 pixels wide (which works out about right for users that still have monitors at 1024x768, so that they don't have to scroll left and right to read the text in the forum posts).

It's free:

http://www.irfanview.com