Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1

hello, i just want to say: DONT BUY CANON A630!!

I'm too dessapointed. before i got it I was watching some sample images of some cameras on this site and a630's was fine (without noise). But when I bought it they wasn't the same... some photos are acceptable (with flash and a daily light) but with a 75watt light at home they are TOO NOISY!!!!!!! i can't belive a digital camera can do SO MANY noise!!

*look at the photo "noise.jpg"

before this one i had an olympus and the quality was perfect! I will NEVER buy canon again.
Attached Images

_jessica_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:20 AM   #2

Your ISO is probably set too high.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:46 AM   #3

look at this one, i put it with the ZoomBrowser so u see the shooting information for this photo.

i used AUTO mode and AUTO ISO, there was 75 watt light.. does this camera has some problem? or all the a630 shoots with this noise???
Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:40 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Cameras need light to take pictures. In those shots you don't have enough.

That's why the camera has a built-in flash - switch it on, or you could put it on a tripod and turn the ISO to 100 - it would be fine.

Nothing wrong with the camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:52 AM   #5

_jessica_ wrote:
Quote:
............75watt light at home they are TOO NOISY!!!!!!! i can't belive a digital camera can do SO MANY noise!! .....
75 watts is too little unless intensely & locally directed, compared with purpose-designed flash or freely-available daylight.

Set to "auto ISO", the camera chose to help you asits programmers thought best. Your Olympus may have chosen lower ISO, but slower shutter speed or larger aperture. These would be better for some shots, and notfor others.

You need to take control, and use what ever settings are available to get the result you need. In difficult lighting conditions this will require trial & error, in lots of experiments and a slow learning process. I've taken over 3000 shots with my new camera since May, and I'm still learning (afternearly 50years of photography). Fortunately, with digital imaging, it costs nothing but your time. Enjoy the learning process and be patient!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:59 AM   #6

The fact that this last image is only your 130th shows that you're still new and learning about this camera. The A6xx series has an excellent reputation and you should simply learn how to use it properly.

As has already been said, use flash or a tripod in low light conditions.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:07 AM   #7

i had an Olympus camera for 3 years and i was soo happy! i took pictures with 75 watts at home.., at night (with no flash), etc and they were perfect! but this camera has something wrong.

all this photos're on auto mode and auto iso, with DAYLIGHT!! so why the canon's so noisy???

The last one was shooted with olympus with a table lamp's light, and i didn't use flash (and it's not so noisy like the canon's with daylight..).
Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:55 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I would agree that it is something in the settings, the ISO could be fixed to high for all shots. I also notice that in the first one you have used digital zoom (you have gone beyond the optical zoom range), as soon as you do this you are entering into a whole world of hurt and low quality images.

If you are not getting the sort of results that Steve got when he reviewed it there is something that needs sorting out and we can see that the camera itself can do the business when used with the right settings for the conditions. If you can't see what setting has been changed I would pop to the camera store where you got it and ask them to take a look. Once that is done I'm sure you will bevery happy.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:12 PM   #9

Yes. You either have a bum camera or you settings are WAY off. I suspect the letter.

Here's what a 620 and 630 can do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Administrator

Yep. It looks like you've got a couple of problems. One is that you're not using the flash (which means the camera is going to increase ISO speed unless you set it yourself).

So, either use the flash, or use a tripod and set your ISO speed lower if you're going to try and shoot by a 75 watt lightbulb.

The other issue I see is you're using Digital Zoom (as already pointed out), at least on that first image (I can't see the settings for the rest, but I suspect you used it for the outdoor shots, too).

Use of Digital Zoom will degrade image quality (it's cropping the image, then enlarging it again, by adding pixels not captured by the camera based on values of surrounding pixels).

I keep Digital Zoom turned off on cameras I have with it, to make sure I don't accidently use it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote