Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 20, 2003, 4:31 AM   #1

Default A70 adapter and filters

i am planning on getting an adpater for my canon A70 (the offical canon one) so that i can use filters and lens. i wanted to know firstly is it a 52mm thread and can i put more than one filter on at a time.

i tried posting in the lens forum to no avail though
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2003, 4:17 PM   #2

You can use the 20 dollar lens adapter with different brands of filters/lenses etc....
Research SUNPAK. Its the brand I use. So, much cheaper "IN PRICE" than canon. I just bought the lens adapter for 20 and bought a lens pack for under 75.

Good luck,
shaunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 5:52 PM   #3

thanks ill have a look
Old Sep 11, 2003, 5:36 AM   #4

Maybe you can try Cokin Compact Digicam Bracket, it's a universal bracket that can hold two filters at a time and support round and square filter. Check it out at http://www.cokin.com There are more than 160 types of filter available for Cokin Filter.
cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 7:01 AM   #5

i have now got the canon adapter, bit expencive for what it is and does! canon trying to sponge more money!
but it works good and i can use some filter i have
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:40 AM   #6

Which lens pack did you buy shaunh? I have an A70 and that NZ$50 piece of plastic Canon calls a lens adapter, but I'd love to get recommendations on alternatives to the A70 wide and telephoto lenses, which are quite pricey.

Can anyone tell me, because the adapter has a 52mm thread, does that mean most 52mm lenses, regardless of brand, would be compatible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunh
You can use the 20 dollar lens adapter with different brands of filters/lenses etc....
Research SUNPAK. Its the brand I use. So, much cheaper "IN PRICE" than canon. I just bought the lens adapter for 20 and bought a lens pack for under 75.

Good luck,
Perraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:26 AM   #7

You can also use smaller or larger lenses using step rings. In many cases (but certainlly not all), smaller lenses will vinyette. Most 52mm lenses should work. You have an even beter chance with larger lenses. I am not really farmiliar with the wide angle lenses. As far as teleconverters go, there are lots that will work. In the US the canon lens is hard to beat for cost vs quality. It is only 100$ here though. The tiffen megaplus is suposed to be one of the beter aftermarket lenses that is cheaper than the canon one. It is 43mm but if I recall right, it is suposed to work without vinyetting (you might want to verify that if you look at getting one). There are several lenses that are cheaper but be aware that most of these are camcorder lenses. Wether it is called a camcorder lens or not, do not expect exceptional quality. Some are usable though, while some are really bad. A couple brands to look at are raynox, kenko, sony, and olympus.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 2:56 AM   #8

Thanks for your reply, richardh.

After some looking around, I have found the Canon TC lens for NZ$180, which is roughly US$100. For the sake of keeping things simple I might go with that lens.

Amazing how quickly all the extras can add up to more than the cost of the camera ... memory cards ... lenses ... still, it's worth it.
Perraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:00 AM   #9

that is what i have unfortunetly found too, that as expencive as the canon lenes are they are probally the cheapest, quality lenes. so just going to have to save up!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 8:41 AM   #10

Sorry, it took so long for the reply.
I got the sunpak close up lens set and the polar and uv set.
I got them from a camera supply shop in fort worth.
So much cheaper than canon. I have not had any issues with these "SUNPAK" lenses.
Good luck....
Shaun
shaunh is offline   Reply With Quote