Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:55 AM   #1

Just received the A630. My feelings towards it are mixed especially after I read the specs of the 720is. The 720 has all the bells and whistles that the 630 needs (Image Stabilization, next genalgorithms,and face recognition for starters) The only drawback that I see is the smaller CCD size of the 720. Are the bells and whistles worth dropping down to a smaller CCD size? I am new to the Canon scene and in need of an informed opinion regarding a comparison between these two cameras in regards to CCD size and how it relates to image quality. As of yet I have found nothing on the net in the form of a comparison between these two models. Which camera is more flexible? I like using Auto settings for situations that are unpredictable and manual setttings for more controlled situations. The closest I have found are comparisons between the 710 and the 720. Anyhow, I have till the 27th to RMA this 630 if I desire to do so. Would love to purchase to the A650 but the price is sorta high. Thanks in advance for any advice.
rotartiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:01 PM   #2

rotartiller-

I own the Canon 710IS and have found it to be a great little camera. Yes, it (the A-710IS) does have one weak spot, that the Canon A-720IS will also demonstrate, it has a slow flash recycle time. That really does not bother me, as that is not a crucial issure for me at all.

I even ordered a Canon A-630 and then returned it, as I did not like the lack of IS, nor did I find the A-640 to have better IQ. In fact, I found the IQ to be just about the same between the two cameras.

Not being a pixel peeper, I choose not to discuss the technical aspects of the 1/1.8" imager, versus the 1/2.5" imager.

Sarah Joyce

Here is a A-710IS Macro Shot that shows lots of detail.

Here is a handheld, no flash photo taken at night using a shutter speed of 1/8th second.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:32 PM   #3

The CCD effect is what I am interested in. Just saw the specs and a few preliminary reviews of the new Fuji F50. Looks good on paper and on the pics that I have seen but then again anyone can gleen the best of the best. Just really becoming quickly disenchanted with the 630 everyday I take it out. I am a fairly experienced film photographer that cut his teeth on Canons and gradually evolved into manual medium formats for fun. I have been in a darkroom for half my life so I pretty much figure I have the basics down on how cameras work. I'm just not gettting any real consistency out of this digital. Still wondering about the 720 and now the F50 and still the F40 cause of the huge megapixal vs CCD associated noise thing......Clarity these days would be nice if it were more common and not more of a commodity.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:06 PM   #4

I understand your message. You are just shopping! Have a good weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:14 AM   #5

When you say you didn't like its IQ what exactly do you mean. The way it goes about aquiring the image and determining how to process it? Just like knowing we're own the same page. How did the 630 IQ differ from the 710 IQ? Yes, I am still shopping....... :- )
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:19 AM   #6

IQ, or Image Quality, at least to me has to do with overall sharpness, and the ability to resolve fine detail. as well as how the camera handles the spectrum of light from full black to full white. That is called dynamic range and you don't want to see details within the shadows become some what muddy. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:18 PM   #7

Here's mine taken with the A630, no flash, camera was set on the same table to avoid camera shake.
Attached Images

JerrysonycanonandmaybeLumix is offline   Reply With Quote