Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:19 AM   #1

How does it compare?

Canon G9 (link to Canon UK specs)

[*]12.1 Megapixels [/*][*]1/1.7" sensor [/*][*]6x optical zoom with optical Image Stabilizer [/*][*]RAW image recording [/*][*]DIGIC III and iSAPS [/*][*]Face Detection AF/AE/FE [/*][*]9-point AiAF and FlexiZone AF/AE [/*][*]3.0" PureColor LCD II [/*][*]ISO 1600 and Auto ISO Shift[/*]

Fuji FinePix S6500fd (link to Fuji UK specs)

Number of effective pixels: 6.3 million pixels
CCD sensor: 1/ 1.7-inch Super CCD HR
Storage media: Internal memory (approx. 10MB)/ xD-Picture Cardâ„¢ ( 16MB - 1 GB )
File format: Still image : JPEG (Exif Ver 2.2 ) CCD-RAW (Design rule for Camera File system compliant / DPOF-compatible)
Lens: Fujinon 10.7 X zoom lens , F 2.8 - 4.9
Lens focal length: f=6.2-66.7mm Equivalent to 28 - 300 mm on a 35 mm camera
Focus: Mode : Single-AF , Continuous AF, Manual Focus, One-touch AF(when using Manual focus) AF system : TTL contrast-type , AF-assist illuminator AF frame selection : AF(CENTER), AF(MULTI), AF(AREA)
Focus distance: Normal : approx. 40 cm / 1.6 ft. to infinity(W) approx. 2 m / 6.6 ft. to infinity(T) Macro : approx. 10 cm /4.0 in. to 3.0m / 9.8 ft.(W) approx. 90 cm /3.0 ft. to 3.0m / 9.8 ft.(T)
Shutter speed: 30 sec. to 1 / 4000 sec.
Aperture: F 2.8 F11Up to 13 steps in 1/3 EV increments Manual /Auto selectable
Sensitivity: AUTO / Equivalent to ISO 100/200/400/800/1600/3200
Exposure modes: Programmed AE(When using P mode : Program shift is enable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure
White balance: Automatic Manual (Fine, Shade, Fluorescent light (Daylight), Fluorescent light (Warm White) Fluorescent light (Cool White), Incandescent light
Viewfinder: 0.33 inch low-temperature polysilicon TFT (approx. 115,000 pixels) , approx. 100 % coverage
LCD Monitor: 2.5 inch Amorphous silicon TFT ( approx.235,000 pixels), approx. 100 % coverage
Self-timer: Approx.10sec./ 2 sec. delay
Power source: 4 AA type alkaline batteries (included)/4 AA type Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (optional) or AC power adapter AC-5VX(optional)
Dimensions: 130.9 (W) X 97.5 (H) X 128.0 (D) mm / 5.2 (W) X 3.8 (H) X 5.0 (D) in.
Weight: Approx.600 g / 21.2 oz.(excluding batteries and xD-Picture Card

Panasonic DMC-FZ18EB (link to Panasonic specs)

Not mentioning specs as Panasonic mentions only "pros" as nice features, good lense, but "forgets" to mention the main "cons" of their range: small-sizes CCD sensors.

I think this model has a 1/2.5" sensor. :?

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2

gaul-

You ask how does the Canon G-9 compare? Then, I must ask: Compare to what? Logically, you cannot, or should not compare it to an ultrazoom camera or a DSLR camera. However, when compared to its very able 10mp forerunner, the Canon G-7, the G-9, at 12mp and a handful of new features does represent a significant step forward. At least that is how Popular Photography magizine, here in the USA, has characterized, the new Canon G-7.

Here are a Canon G-7 photo sample and a canon G-9 photo sample. That might offer a platform for some comparison.

Sarah Joyce

Here is the Canon G-7 sample photo:

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Gaul-

Here is the Canon G-9 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:03 AM   #4

Good point. I would say I would like to compare it to other Point-to-Shoot that have both wide range zoom (more than 3X optical, starting no less than 35mm) and good image quality (excluding small CCD sensors)
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5

gaul-

Well, compared to the Olympus Stylus 780 (7.1mp, 5X optical zoom, Imager larger than 1/2.5") I feel that the Canon G-7 and G-9 are decidedly better. here are two sample image so you can compare. The first is from the Stylus 780. The second photo is from the Canon G-7. Admitedly, the Stylus 780 is a smaller, and thus more pocketable camera than the Canon G-7 or G-9, and does produce excellent photos, you can see the difference after viewing the photos.

Gaul, I will let you come up with the next camera to compare against the Canon G-7 or G-9. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Stylus 780

Canon G-7

Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:28 AM   #6

Thanks Sarah, will compare to competitors fitting my criteria then, which are probably:

All-in-one with OK range, OK sensor, OK lense => Good image quality with reduced noise

Have updated my previous post in current thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:05 AM   #7

Hi, these Canon G9 photos look great. Just wondering, can anyone tell me if the sharpness can be turned off completely?

And has it been reviewed here? Thanks.
roseha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:58 PM   #8

the G9 shoots raw, which means tons less processing.

it has been reviewed here
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...on_g9_pg7.html

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote