Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 22, 2003, 7:01 PM   #11

Also, i can't wait to see what canon comes out with to compete with the sony f828.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:49 PM   #12

This is so cool.. Yeah, plastic body.. But it's well under $1000.

http://www.canoneos.com/digitalrebel/index.html

hopefully, more consumer level dSLR cameras will follow. The D30 would be cool, but at $1500, it's very expensve fr a guy who used to use a mostly manual, including focus, film SLR.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:25 PM   #13

Default less than excited about the 300D... (but I'm an amateur)

I am sure the new 300 will thrill some/many people. However, there are a lot of camera's coming out that appeal to individuals who do NOT want to buy multiple lenses. There is a large segment of the market that wants a 28/35mm to 180/200 lens. True, purists may not need nor want this type of lens. But I believe that a major portion of the buyers do. Having a 28-90mm lens just about guarantees that the purchaser needs at least 1 more lens. So that $999 kit really doesn't cut it. It's really $1199 to get enough versatility for the typical, not profession consumer. Frankly, I think this camera will be a bust in the sales department.
I can appreciate the enthusiasm but...
Just an opinion.
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:34 PM   #14

Default 300D...

I should have noted the obvious examples, Nikon 5700, Di7,
Fuji 7000 or Sony 828 (among others).

For most non-pro's who don't want to carry a bag full of stuff to get versatility, these products will far surpass the 300D. If the real selling point is "SLR" the get a true pro-SLR. But this offering just seems a bit short. Oh well...

Enjoy !
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 1:57 AM   #15

Default .

Dear Altos;

By the cameras that you presented, I hope you're not trying to consider digital rebel with nikon 5700 and minolta di7.

While minolta's all-time style "noises" isn't considered "clear" to our current digital photography world, (but damn they take great landscape shots ) Nikon 5700 is a mid-level digital from a company that created a legend of digital photography d100 ...

On the other hand from your list for two others we have to wait until october & november to see what they have done. (More picture samples on the web) (actually some from great artists)

While considering Digital Rebel, I'm one of those who'll wait until the new year as well (Maybe around Christmas ) ; on a SLR quality, Canon always been the icon of the industry. I believe they didn't do it wrong ... As far as the samples I'm seeing right now, they are quite succesful.

Kind regards;
Onur Aydin
http://idan.photopoints.com
Onur Aydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 9:41 AM   #16

the issues in the D7i and above series can be alleviated by a $40 program. noise is in all digital images. its just how/when to deal with it. Neat Image is a tool for all images. the term "clear" is improper here. the images are point sharp for its camera type.

the issues with the 5700 must be alleviated with a new camera. it produces an over all beautiful image. it falls short on other issues that cannot be fixed by firmware. it is a hardware issue.

to consider the D100 a legend sort of misses the boat. did you see the D1, D1x and D1h along the way along with the D30, eos1d and 1ds. those were the first and second volleys in the revolution. the D100 was an evolutionary step not a revolutionary step. just as the 10D and 300D is a evolutionary steps too. there is nothing new there just a optimized digital bodies for the price point. marketing done well.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 10:54 AM   #17

The only thing I would say might qualify as "revolutionary" about the D100 is its battery life. It is just amazing.

But that hardly qualifies the camera as revolutionary.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:11 AM   #18

thats wht it is so relatively slow compare to its big brothers
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:46 PM   #19

Dear sjms;

First at all thank you for your nice reply. I've been on forums all my life and it's truly hard to find people that can reply to thoughts in a nice, and intelligent form.

Minolta's style always have been this way. That's why in almost all other digitals there is a sharpening option to reach Minolta's unique ability. On the other hand, Minolta should tried at least on the digital world to customize their sharpening option.

I completly agree about 5700 ... The thing I can't understand is this; a company that can create d100 and all the d series, creates a hp mid level digital. It's like Porsche brings a "camry" to the industry. Bad marketing decision my opinion. (Even though it has been quite succesful in sellings, but surely less than d series market succes)

About why presenting d100 as a legend , all d series are legendary products An option to mid-level photographers (%40 of photographers) helping them become "hidh-level" in photography ; is a great revolution and will always be ...
Onur Aydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 8:09 PM   #20
NHL

Quote:
On the other hand, Minolta should tried at least on the digital world to customize their sharpening option.
... I thought they already had this option on the D7/i/Hi! By selecting Sharpness to Soft (-), instead of Normal, the somewhat perceived noise subsides quite a bit, also lowering the contrast reduces it too.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote